Lookin for advice!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trptboy21, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks, trptboy21! Has your prof said anything about the mechanics of playing? I know of some ways to get the effects you mention, but am hesitant to put that into print quite yet.

2. trptboy21

trptboy21 New Friend

Jan 23, 2008
    I just had a lesson yesterday and he gave me a a few exercises consisting of lip buzzing, mouthpiece buzzing, long tones, then specific irons studies focused on the mid-range lip slurs, then a lyrical study to be played softly and with minimal pressure. As far as mechanics he focuses on a strong set and using large volumes of air.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are REALLY playing everything softly, and still can't get through the day, something else is wrong. 4-5 hours of piano has to be possible from a trumpet major.

Maybe you are cheating and playing more loudly than you have to? You may also want to lay off of high notes for a couple of days. That will also save energy!

4. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hi TRPTBOY21, and everybody else! My first post, look forward to learning from you all. Can relate to your dilemma. Dayjob cuts into my available practice time, have found the following book interesting:
    John Lynch: Author of “A New Approach to Altissimo Trumpet Playing.†Inventor of the "Asymmetric trumpet mouthpiece†- The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece.... Not sure about the mouthpiece, since I am averse to change in that area (anybody have an experienced opinion?), but he has some interesting lip slurs that, if practiced more faithfully than I have, will probably help. The guy is a physicist and trumpet player, who goes into some detail on title subject Also interesting is a left hand position where the index finger is in the third valve slide ring, and remaining fingers are under the third valve slide, cradling the third valve bottom cap. Personally, I find this position has helped my playing, especially in the higher regester. After 37 years of playing, there is always something new to learn! Ciao for now-HH:D

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh man, I remember the lip-smashing to get to the high notes, from my music major days as well (French horn). My teacher drilled into me "Practice smarter, not harder." I think people here have given you good advice. Be careful with the pressing -- you can do permanent damage to your lips and teeth!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are two major things that can wreak havoc with accuracy--one is the lack of ear training, and mouthpiece buzzing can be huge help, and the other cause can occur when we colapse the chin and/or slide the lower lip behind the upper lip when going into the upper register--a firm chin and corners can be a big help, and practicing with a mirror can be a huge help as well.

Have fun!

mrmusicnotes likes this.
  7. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

I'm sorry but some of us don't have time for lessons, because we work 2 jobs and go to school.
    [​IMG]help[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]Babylon English-English
    they
    pron. 3rd person plural pronoun used to replace names of people or things

[​IMG]Wikipedia English - The Free Encycl...
    They
    They is a third-person, personal pronoun (subject case) in Modern English.

[​IMG]See more at Wikipedia.org...

This article uses material from Wikipedia® and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License

8. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hey Trptboy21, like replies from Vulgano, Misty, Rowuk, and Patric. Have some of my own higher regester challenges, maybe I can put this out there for comment. Lip slur exercise in Arban's, Page 43, exercise #21, quarter note is supposed to =112-124, sixteenth note triplets in 4/4 time. Can play it at quarter note =82 so far meeself. :lol:
    My ten years of lessons ended in 1982, this exercise was assigned to me in 1981 for three weeks in a row before I finally passed. My metronome was my teacher rapping the stand with the baton, and I am sure he was beating slower than 112! (Occassionally, I would be in the way of the stand)....

I practice it now with a Casio beat bank on a cheap keyboard, since I can see and adjust the metronome markings as a goal. Anyone on this site play it at 112-124, or is that marking just there to scare people? :D HH

9. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I also love the arbans flex studies pgs.42-44.I do them every day .They really build a strong and supple embrosure.This is just a theory,but everyone's face structure is different and I think these exercises are like a fine tuning to one's personell embrosure.For me they just make everything easier.

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Okay....a few things to think about here:

- how long have you been playing the trumpet?
    - what kind of practice regimen do you follow?
    - do you have a private teacher?

It's good that you recognize the problems you are having. However, don't make the mistake of assuming that they are all caused by the same thing or will be solved by a single answer or activity.
    I've played the horn for 40 years and I play off to one side. I'm not a technical god or anything, but I can play the horn. Playing to one side does not impede me. My only point here is that you want to not assume that this is a/the problem.

My first guess, just hearing the description you've written, is that you need some fundamental instruction about articulation and breath support. When you say that you have trouble articulating above the staff, does that mean you feel like you can articulate decently (and consistenly below the staff?) if so, then the problem above the staff is probably, at its root, not the articulation itself. It's probably more likely that you're not playing with the proper breath support which means that you are tiring your chops and not providing the 'platform' upon which to articulate. Usually when problems start appearing as you play higher, the problem really turns out to be that your not playing higher properly (meaning with the proper breathing and support).

I'd consult a teacher. If you can't afford one, then I'd get an Arban's book and start working on the basic articulation exercises WITH THE PROPER BREATH SUPPORT, and work them slowly.

good luck,

bigtiny