Looking at a Flip Oakes WT.....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Phatmon, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    I spent some time at his website last night and really like what he has to offer and how he presents his product. If I would have done a little more shopping I would have purchased one of these before I bought my Zeus and Holton MF. I do enjoy playing both these horns but I would like to narrow it down to owning just one and being happy with it. I could sell one or the other but they both have something I like about it. I notice he offers a trade-in program but am wondering if he would even consider what I have as possible trade-ins. Both horns are in fine shape and less than a year old. I would like to hear from WT owners and tell me what they like and also any negative feedback on them. The laquer finish is what I would be interested in. :)

2. tptdoofus

tptdoofus New Friend

Mar 23, 2004
    Somerset, KY
    Looking at a Flip Oakes WT ...

Holton MF,
    I've had my silver Bb Wild Thing for one year now, and keep finding new things to like about it. I traded 2 horns in on it, a Bach Strad and a Vintage 1, and have never been sorry. It spoils you for playing other horns. Part of what makes this horn so great is the service Flip puts into it before he sends it to you. He is a person of integrity and will answer any questions you might have. I'm strictly an amateur, but even I am astounded at the big rich sound coming out of that big bell, from the first note of warm-up to the last note before it goes back in the case. I hope you get a chance to play one before you make a decision.

Best of luck,
    Roger Lane

3. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I hope you get a chance to play an Eclipse along with the Wild Thing, before you buy one. There is not too much difference in the price. I recently had an oportunity to compare my Eclipse to a WT, and after having played the Eclipse for a few months, the WT was really a disapointment. But different people look for and have different perceptions about the attributes of the horn they wish to play. The WT may be just the thing for you. However, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a horn, you might want to do a little more extensive comparing before you lay down your hard earned cash.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Holton -

What finish does your Olympus have? I may be interested in it if you are going to sell it.

Greg

5. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    it has the raw brass finish. Flip Oakes offers a trade-in program and I wanted to put my two horns towards a WT. To reply to Still Trying, The Eclipse was on my list but I am not sure if they have a trade-in program. I guess I would get more for my Zeus and Holton if I sold them to an interested buyer though and could put that towards an Eclipse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3763349161&rd=1

I could always get a Monette Flumpet but a little spendy.....Wow I have never seen these may Monette horns on ebay at one time!!! :wink:

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, just let us know what you decide.

The flumpet - an instrument that isn't appropriate for any trumpet part

7. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    I was on the WT tour and have since purchased a WT. The feel and sound suite me and it plays sooo easy-for me! However, no one horn is for everyone or for every situation, so try to get your hands on one to play.
    Greg

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Consider how few are made .. and having to wait 12 months (after paying in full) before you get the horn. It seems a large number of them have sold lately on the secondary markets. Maybe, just maybe they are an excellent horns, but not any better than a Wild Thing, Eclipse, Bergeron, etc.

Save some money and STILL get a great horn. Not very often a Wild Thing or Olympus is on eBay. Of course, those are made in small numbers too. Still, I think Monettes are very expensive and define the law of diminishing returns.

Jim

9. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Wild Thing vs Monette

I played a Monette 993 for a few years. I eventually sold it on ebay and bought a pair of Fip's horns, a Wild Thing and a C. I was so impressed with the horns that I added a short cornet and flugel.

What I like about the WT is the versatility. By changing out the tunig slide you do get a slightly different horn. Even with the same slide I find that I can get a more varied response from the WT than I could from the 993, which was either dark, dark or dark.

The Monette was a beautiful horn, but when I wanted it to be heard in the small chamber orchestra in which I play it would just get lost unless I pushed it. It was loud enough, but would not cut through at moderate to low volumes. The WT still blends when I want it to, but it is easier to get a nice, clean trumpet sound when I need it to be heard without overpowering the smallish ensemble. On the other hand, when you want to wail on the WT the power in there in spades. This is especially true of the C horn.

I do not kow how Flip works his trade in thing. However he is a real gentleman and an absolute straight shooter. Just call the number on the website. There is a good chance Flip will answer the phone himself. He will be more than happy to talk to you about your horns.

Cheers