Looking at Pros' Embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Jun 12, 2012.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I've been watching pros play on Youtube videos, paying attention to the various embouchures. The main variation seems to be whether the corners of the mouth are above, below, or even with where the lips come together on the mouthpiece. Another variation is whether the corners of the mouth are wider, narrower, or the same as when the player is not blowing.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The embouchure you should be looking at is yours. ;-)

3. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Definitely. But it's interesting to look at others' and see the variations.

4. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I have seen so many different embouchures producing great sounds that I stopped looking! ;)

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    ACtually, unless there is a really good reason to do so, it is better to stay away from the mirror:-)

6. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Probably good advice. :-P

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Especially if you have a face for radio!! :D

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Depending on what you're looking at/for, I think there can be some value in looking at the way pro's setup their chops.

A few years ago I was trying to really develop my high range (from high F to double C). I looked at LOTS of pictures and videos of great high-note guys and met with a couple of famous ones. I absolutely got more out of meeting one on one with the pro's, but the "research" I had done prior to those meetings really helped me to internalize the things that were discussed.

That was a long-winded way of saying that while I wouldn't obsess over anyone's chops, I don't think there's any harm in looking for similarities with the way other successful people set up.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The embouchure is only a very small part of what is going on. Don't forget, a pro has reduced excessive motion to a minimum. What isn't present any more is what you need to know!

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That's actually one of the most glaring things that popped out of the videos. While there were lots of different setups, almost all of the top guys minimized movement. You can see pivot, but not much else.

Like Doc here at 2:04:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8scBG0iJs&t=2m4s

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012