Looking at Pros' Embouchures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Very good point. My lips, cheeks, and jaw were moving all over the place until I did like the OP and watched alot of greats. Now I work hard to NOT move and I can tell a definite improvement.

2. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Very interesting point.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Look at the Pros' work ethic. Apply it to your practice routine and wait for results.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My opinion: even if you think that you know what you are looking for, you really never know until you have achieved a very high level of performance if you found anything meaningful.

You can look at embouchures all day on YouTube, it tells you NOTHING. The embouchure is NOT the silver bullet. Results are produced by the integration of breathing, body use, pressure and chop flexibility/strength. I simply do not believe those that claim that they learn anything by watching a video. You learn by doing, the chop strength and flexibility have to balance the power and flexibilty of our breathing. You simply can't "see" that. It is earned individually based on the whole being of each of us.

When you work with Friedemann Immer personally (the Brandenburg trumpeter), you see a lot of stuff that is not apparent in the video. When you take lessons from him, you learn lot about fine detail. Stability is a great virtue when playing the baroque trumpet.

There is nothing wrong with watching videos. Many of the posts imply that there could be a shortcut through intellect. Wish on.

Here a Brandenburg 2 with more "organic" trumpeter moves:
    Bach Brandenburg Concerto 2, 3.movement, including repeat Bis - YouTube

here a choreographed version with beautiful people:
    Bach Brandenburg Concerto 2 - 3rd Movement - YouTube

Here perhaps the most relaxed version ever:
    Maurice Andre Brandenburg Concert - YouTube

I "see" NOTHING that leads to success in any of these videos, I do "hear" the high level of musical understanding coupled with great body integration though.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    What's wrong with you?

Were there not enough qualifiers in the previous posts to CLEARLY indicate that there is little (not nothing) to gain from looking at embouchures.

As "right" as you want to be, the integration is something you see.

If my setup makes me look like I'm playing a flute, then I can see a difference.

If my embouchure looks like I'm puckering my lips like a princess kissing a frog, I'll sound like crap and be able to SEE that no other successful trumpet player is doing it.

If I have a problem with too much movement, I'll SEE the difference in what I'm doing compared to great players.

Just reference points. Totally dismissing them is a mistake.

Give up the need to be "right" all the time.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What is the problem? Can't I even agree without irritating someone? I don't even think that the act of looking is an issue. The problem is fooling yourself by chasing phantoms. I do look at players and see quite a bit. I also read posts and often see the issue behind the words. I now read a time to chill.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't even understand the question ....... WHAT can you see???? Most of it's hidden behind the damn mouthpiece anyway. :dontknow:

If you look at enough emouchures, you could be a closet dentist. I'm just saying ...... :-P

Turtle