Looking for a new cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by cobragamer, Sep 4, 2008.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Anyone have a good idea of a good cornet that I could buy. Right now I
    have the yamaha xeno but it upperregister is really tight and not free breathing. I heard some vintage conns where good but what about some others

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    What is your budget ?

What type of music are you looking to play with your cornet (jazz, dixie, brass band, solo, orchestral, etc...) ?

What cornet players do you like or listen to alot ?

How many hours a week do you play cornet ?

The above questions will help us help you.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Lot of buzz lately about the various vintage Olds cornets from the 1930s-40s....
    Might want to look into one of those? Great horns.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    There are also a couple of Buescher 400 cornets on ebay at the moment. Everyone who's played mine thought it was outstanding.

Tom

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    Xeno cornet are usually of good quality, though they tend to have too bright sound for my taste. It may be wiser to let a tech check your cornet. There may be an alignement or other issues that can be solved, so you would not need a new cornet. Or maybe it is not the horn's fault...

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I have a Bach Strad 184 large bore short model cornet that is my favorite horn. Whenever I get tired or jaded playing trumpet, this horn puts me back in line. I also just got a Conn Director coprion bell cornet circa 1960 which I'm putting through its' paces. It is almost like a small flugelhorn when using a Monette Flumpet mouthpiece.

7. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    I have a Getzen Capri cornet which I totally love. However, I don't know what you exactly call the "upper register" but keep in mind that a cornet isn't made for screaming à la Maynard Ferguson... ;)

Stéphane

8. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    In another price range than my Getzen Capri, you might also consider these options:

NYTC GS Cornet
    Taylor Cornets
    Smith-Watkins Cornets

Stéphane

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If you don't mind playing an "intermediate level" cornet and have the patience to look for one, a Conn 76A Connquest short cornet from the 1960's is a killer horn, especially in the upper register. It's really easy to play and has a big sound (.485 bore), and shares the same unique tubing configuration of the Olds Recording cornet. I also have a Bach 184 large bore short cornet - it's a better cornet than the Conn, but takes more effort in the upper register.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  10. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I play in a british style brass band and a wind band that plays 1800s and earlt 1900s traditional music like rosemund and colonol bogey