Looking for a new horn for high school.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jfishfinder, Mar 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jfishfinder

jfishfinder New Friend

Feb 15, 2015
    I am a freshman in high school and am looking to get a new horn. I own a beginner conn director trumpet and have hit a wall in terms of playing. can anyone recommend a good horn?

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We get questions similar to this quite frequently. A little searching through threads, particularly in "Horns" and "Trumpet Discussion" will provide more reading than you can probably endure. I am thinking you are in the U.S. If so, you have more choices than you can wade through. Does your band director have strong feelings about what trumpets his/her students play? If so, there is little to be gained by getting something he/she does not recommend. Are you receiving private instruction? If so, your teacher will also be a good source of direction. It would be interesting to know what deficiencies you have found in your Conn Director.

Welcome to TM!

Jim

3. jfishfinder

jfishfinder New Friend

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for your advice! My Conn director seems stuffy to me. When I first began playing It was fine, but as I continued it became more and more stuffy. I know people will say its the player, but when I play on a professional horn the stuffiness goes away.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My son started on a student horn, which we upgraded when he stated the 9th grade. I'm not sure he reached his limits of his student horn. But I thought it was a good time for an upgrade, and to continue to inspire him to play.

Jim gave some good advice. Advice from your band director or private teacher would be great. A simple answer would be to consider a Bach Stradivarius 37 or a Yamaha Xeno. But of course, there are many other good choices.

Mike

5. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    It's a personal thing... You going to march with it, play concert band, orchestra, or jazz ensemble? People can recommend all day long, but until you play & hear it yourself, you won't know. Go on youtube and listen to the comparisons between the pro-level horns. That should get you started.

6. KennyW

KennyW New Friend

Feb 11, 2015
    Hey, Im a freshman too and recently purchased a pro model. I thought I could give you some tips as I just went through your situation.

I would go to a highly acclaimed music store (if you have one), or a trumpet show, and try out as many trumpets as you possibly can. Look for several things:

1. Intonation - bring a tuner to check to ensure that the high C is just as in tune as a low G.

2. Articulation - how does the trumpet respond to your tonguing and phrasing? Make sure you can express your musical style through the instrument.

3. Range - How high can you play? Note that trumpets that play higher generally are very open with little resistance, ie. reverse lead pipe, but many times compromise sound. Keep range as a factor, but definitely do not use it as the deciding factor, unless you are perhaps a lead player looking for an extremely bright sound.

4. Sound - The most important aspect of the trumpet! Make sure you pick a trumpet that has the sound that you hear when you picture yourself playing. If you play all sorts of music genres, like many high school students, remember that sound can be altered by both mouthpiece type and practice. More so with practice.

If you were curious, I ended up picking one of the newer Yamaha Xeno horns, a custom model. The sound was absolutely astonishing with brilliant intonation from pedal C to high E. I love its versatility. It could be used by both a classical player and by a jazz soloist. Make sure you try this horn out and lots of others as well!

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    if you are in the US, i have a nice strad 37 for sale right now at a reasonable $950.

8. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    You're a high school freshman?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the idea of trying out a bunch of trumpets so that the right one finds you. That aside, consider a Getzen 700 or above--in my opinion, the best value per dollar.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He said it before I could!!! Getzen 700!! BTW

:welcome::welcome::welcome::wave::wave::wave::laughwave::laughwave::laughwave: