Looking for a new horn for high school.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jfishfinder, Mar 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. KennyW

KennyW New Friend

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah Im a highschool freshmen. Im lucky to have a lot of brilliant mentors. I just regurgitate what they have taught me.

2. BachM

BachM Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2015
    North Carolina, USA
    Honestly, I go to any music store nearby, ask for their intermediate trumpets, pick a few out, try them out, and then go from there. Trust me, blow a few notes and you'll know which one is meant for you. ;) Good luck, just make sure you buy American or European made, with the exception of Yamaha.

3. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    My first horn was a Holton student model. Nothing special at all, but it did the job through middle school. I wouldn't classify it as stuffiness per say, but I would agree that it feels like my student horn has a lot of unneeded, inefficient resistance. The fact that the stuffiness progressed as you played would mean that as you have become a more advanced player, you are more aware of the ins and outs of your horn, thus recognizing the stuffiness.

The first horn that I actually purchased was a Getzen Eterna 900 Classic. I love the thing. I use it for jazz, pit, marching, and concert music. It has wonderful projection and is a very open horn (even though it's only a .460). I would really recommend taking a look at the Getzen line. They are VERY popular among high school students, especially in my area. The only complaint I have is regarding the tonal quality it produces. I'm not talking the actual sound, because obviously the player makes the sound, I mean more in a broad sense, how it resonates etc. I find it very hard to get an extremely resonant, symphonic-like tone on this horn. It's totally possible, but it requires a lot of extra effort. I play my friends Bach Strad 37 reverse leadpipe sometimes, and find that it is 10 times easier to resonate on his horn. He specializes in symphonic/ concert music and has one of the purest tones I've ever heard. He played my horn once and had the same comment; very hard to resonate and get that deep, dark, rich sound. I would describe it as a bright horn. I'd recommend this if you are looking to do/ mainly work in the areas of jazz, pit, and/ or marching. It works for concert music, but if this is your emphasis, I;d look elsewhere.

While in pursuit of a horn, I looked at the Getzen Custom 3052 and 3050. Both models have a reverse lead pipe option (the main reason I gave these a look). The 3052 is described as a commercial horn while the 3050 is said to have a full brilliant sound, so more of a concert setting. I had the opportunity to play the 3050, but no store in the entire state carried a floor model 3052 that I could test (that was my #1 choice too, darn.... The 3050 lived to its' description. Dark, full, and rich sound. If I was going to emphasize in classical, I'd put it right up there with a Strad. Either of these would be a step above my Eterna 900 both technically speaking and monetarily speaking, however, they are both worth it.

As for the common Strad 37. My buddy's is actually a 37RL, so maybe that had something to do with it. I've played both the normal and the RL versions. They are both relatively the same. The 37RL is obviously a little more open, but I have found that it really doesn't like the mid register (g above middle c to about a high c). It slots very awkwardly and gets a ton of back pressure in that range. Maybe this is because I'm used to an all-ranges free blowing horn, but I still didn't like it. The normal 37 on the other hand, loves high notes. It is EXTREMELY stable in the upper register. Even above high C, the slots are huge with excellent intonation. My buddy uses his RL Strad for concert and jazz (lead). It works for both, but the 37 is undeniably a concert music horn first. From the tone, to the slots, articulation response, and valves.

I've never played a Yamaha before, so I can't help you there! Although I can tell you, the DCI group I want to march with (Bluecoats) uses Yamaha Xenos. Guess I should probably play one before I audition next year...! Just shameless plug

Anyway, I hope that this was somewhat remotely helpful!

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If you want a "Brand New" horn, then try Ivan here on TM, he makes the Jaeger range. I'd recommend you check them out. Great value for money.

If a new 2nd hand horn, the Getzen 700 is a great horn, the 900 even better, and the Bach Strads are good as well, but try them. The Getzens have the lifetime warranty on valves, and they are great.

I suppose a Budget is a good start - what are you prepared to spend?

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Yes, the budget is important. However I would suggest if you are buying a stead, do not buy the reverse leadpipw models. as mentioned before, they have slotting issues and slurring is practically impossible.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yes! I had a similar situation with my son. He was 14, had been playing guitar and taking lessons for a couple of years and had a decent but inexpensive electric guitar - an Epiphone SG LTD - off the shelf they run about $200. A friend of mine is a guitar tech, so functionally the guitar was ok in terms of what was going on with the electronics in it - it had upgraded pickups, pots and wiring, but on the surface it was still a $200 entry level guitar, or at least that's how my son saw it.

I could see the promise in his playing - he was right on the edge of breaking into a whole different level of playing, and I figured that if I put an instrument in his hands that I knew he really wanted, it would very likely inspire him to work to get to that next level.

There's a long story behind what we eventually wound up with, but when the smoke and dust cleared and settled, I'd gotten him an exceptional sounding Gibson Les Paul Standard. I was blown away by what happened next. That kid practically lived with that guitar in his hands for months afterward, and his level of play skyrocketed.

Now he's 20, that Les Paul is still his baby, and he's a bonafide musician in every sense of the word. He's surpassed me as a musician in some ways - due to some writing he did that wound up on the record of a friend's band, (he also has a session credit on the record for some playing he did) he had to register with ASCAP, and will soon be getting royalties checks - small ones, but that's how it starts.

I believe that putting that Les Paul in his hands is what lit the fire under it. He loved the guitar, so he played it as much as he could. The more he played and practiced, the better he got, the better he got, the more he liked to play, the more he played and practiced, the better he got, etc.

In any case, I'm always for putting a good instrument in the hand of an aspiring player - a very similar thing happened to me when I was 14 too.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Not meaning to hijack, but I have a reverse leadpipe strad and it slots and responds well.

8. jfishfinder

jfishfinder New Friend

Feb 15, 2015
    I was looking at the Reverse Leadpipe 37 Strad but they seam to be out of my budget. Ive heard great things about the getzens and plan on checking them out.

9. jfishfinder

jfishfinder New Friend

Feb 15, 2015
    another quick question on the getzens. what does the last number mean In the series. as in **7

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ??????