Looking for a new horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rage.68.fr, Nov 4, 2005.

1. rage.68.fr

rage.68.fr New Friend

Jun 28, 2005
    Colmar - France
    Hello Everybody :-)

I'm Looking for a New Bb Trumpet for Christmas.

What are for you, actually the 5 best Alround Horns?

Thanks for Help in my choice :D

Rage

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    A good all around horn...
    Bach Stradivarius, 180 w/no. 37 bell
    Yamaha Xeno

Don't know much about Schilke, Benge, Besson or Kanstul; they are also all fine horns and should be looked into.

Lawler makes some great horns in his general/stock line as well: Model T, Model C and Model B. They go for around $1700, I think. Really quite a bargain; the only difference between those and his custom TL trumpets is the amount of time spent with the client beforehand. You can pick any finish you want (scratch gold, silver, brush laquer, raw brass). (I love my Lawler).

Try as many as you can. That's the only way to pick a horn.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    What's your budget?

Also be aware that, generally, US made instruments are somewhat inexplicably very expensive in Europe..even allowing for shipping, customes duty etc...So, for instance, a Bach Stradivarius that is $1700 in the US looks more like Euro 2,000 by the time it gets to Europe. Spada's Bach conversions are lovely but you'll need very deep pockets. The Xeno may be a little cheaper and you'd probably have more choice..I reckon there must be a Yamaha retailer in Katmandu!!!

Stomvi (made in Spain) make a great line that's well priced and should be relatively available for you to try. If you have a very good budget then Henri Selmer (Paris) makes some great trumpets as well (I'm thinking the 80J or 90).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Looking for a specific Xeno (there are several models) I'd aim you toward the 8335RGS. For Bach, I consider either the 180-37 or 180-43.

The Henri Selmer Chorus models are excellent, but for some reason I heard that they cost more in France than in the USA. (Weird, eh?) The Schilke B1, B5 and S22 are all excellent trumpet, but more expensive than Bach and Yamaha. (Well worth it to many, but that's a matter of personal preference).

My favorite Stomvi is the USA model with reverse leadpipe, but I suspect you'd have to order it thru a US dealer. (Does anyone know an "equivalent" European model to the USA?)

I've never played one, but often mentioned is the B&S Challenger.

Dave

6. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    My $0.02

Stomvi Elite
    Fides Symphony
    Stage 1 California (My favorite)
    Yamaha Xeno RGS
    Kanstul Chicago (may be a bit bright)

But for all around and not breaking the bank, these are my favorites. The 1st 2 are from Spain and may be easier (cheaper) for you to obtain.

7. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Okay...still on my Eclipse MR honeymoon...so that's my vote. It's like a high-performance Schilke with a richer/fuller sound. Really depends on the type of playing, budget, etc. I'd seriously consider finding a good Bach as a benchmark...and then give Felix a call and do a comparison. Be sure to do a high-quality recording of the test...and/or have an audience if you have any doubts about the sound. Dave Brown

8. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
  9. luvtrumpets

luvtrumpets New Friend

Oct 15, 2005
    A few months ago I traded my strad for a Wild Thing, excellent horn , I would have to special order this horn from anyone else the way it is set up. eg third slide spit valve,convex valve caps,extra large bore tuning slide.. and a good sound ..

10. tinnmann

tinnmann New Friend

Mar 10, 2004
    NE Ohio
    You haven't mentioned what kind(s) of music you'll be playing? What do you need to blend with?:?: