looking for a site that has horn charts for classic rock and funk

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by admriker444, Mar 2, 2012.

1. admriker444

admriker444 New Friend

Jan 4, 2012
    once again I find myself sitting at my computer....

im watching youtube videos of a song - the older stuff is lousy, i sometimes have a better shot at watching their fingering than picking up what notes are played from sound

Im listening to my i-pod - tedious but this is usually the way I can work out a song

Im looking over guitar/piano charts on musicnotes.com - s\ometimes the melody line written for the guitar also happens to be a horn part. so i can just transpose this

all in an attempt to figure out and write charts for trumpet and sax.

I play in a classic rock cover band and its important we play those recognizable rifts from classic songs such as Soul Man, Mustang Sally, Fire, Give me some Lovin, etc.

Some of the songs are just horrible to try and figure out. Im working on Zoot Suit Riot now and its no fun to try and hear those quick little 32nd not rifts and figure out where they go. so Ive looked around and looked some more and I can not find any site that sells horn charts. If I type in trumpet part / chart for Brick House for example, I get the melody for Brick House as written for trumpet. its not the background horn parts I need

any tips out there for a trumpet player tired of writing chart after chart, some less accurate than others :)

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hang in there!!!!??? keep at it, if it was easy then everyone would be doing it!!!!!!!!!!?? At least you are attempting something that is difficult, while others don't even try!!!!!!!!??? find a music major at a local college to help you, give you some tips!!!!!!??

I really don't have any answers -- because at best I can usually only get a line when I transpose, or a phrase --- and the rest I just give up on ---- having said that ---- winners never quit, and quitters never win --------??? I mean the trumpet was frustrating for you (and me) for how many years before we could make it sound decent (3,5,10 ????) ----- I suspect the difficulty is in tune with transposition --- it takes time, and patience, and practice!!!!!!!!!!!

and that is the best advice I have!!!!!!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This had been my experience as well at first, but I kept at it, replaying phrases, picking out the pattern, from the pattern, realizing the chord, listing to the harmony interval between the trumpet and sax, noting it down, then moving to the next phrase... repeat. There really are no short cuts... but the more you do it, the better you get.

There are a lot of free links you can find on line, but I find the quality and accuracy is not as good as doing it myself. Over the years, I have transcribed hundreds of songs, so I have gotten quit good at this. I just finished for instance transcribing "Back in New Orleans" by Huston Person (a REAL crowd pleaser and the trumpeter WILL get much applause) and a week ago, I transcribed Chris Botti's version of Estate (with the "back and forth" lines between the piano and trumpet). It took me a half hour to transcribe, and my quartet played it flawlessly later that night. It gets this easy between the 10th and 20th transcription AND it really teaches you to develop your ear.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Other than learning the craft of transcription and training your ear, there is an easier way, Grasshopper.

If it is that frustrating, find a MIDI program like Cakewalk or Sibellius, anything bthat will play and work with MIDI files. Then find a MIDI program that sounds like the record... Soul Man, Brick House, and other "standards" are plentiful. Then select the track that has the horn parts and view in "staff mode" to show notation. If it sounds right, then transpose that staff using the software and print. Voila! Instant transcription!

The trick is to find MIDI tracks of sufficient quality.

That is, if you want quick and easy....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I've had good luck downloading MIDI files, entering them into my music notation software, cleaning them up and editing them. When finished, I can print them and I've always got PDF files in my computer as back-up files.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with Gmonady on this one ... after 10 - 20 or so you start to get pretty good at it. If you can find some slow down software that helps alot. In our club band we use to each take a song and teach it the rest of the band ... horn parts written out but the bass and guitar we just learned and wrote down chord blocks.It was a very eficient way to stay on top of the Top 40 chart songs Does wonders for your ear.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I 2nd (or 3rd) the slow down software. :cool:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

That's good to know. I'm sending you all my tunes to transcribe. If anyone wants a Gary transcribed song, his address is ...... (just kidding). It's not so easy when saxophones are involved. It's hard to tell WHAT notes those cats are squeaking out. :dontknow:

Turtle

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not really Turtle. I just grab a feral cat from the neighborhood, bring it inside the house, set it down by my Kurzweil digital piano, squeeze it's belly real hard until is squals, find the note on the Kurzweil, record it on the staff paper, give the little furry friend a bowl of milk, then release the little critter back into its natural habitat, which for sax players and farel cats, is the neighbor's garage where they sit for hours smoking joints rolled from catnip.

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    So ...... You do your transcribing at the piano with a feral cat??? No wonder I'm having no luck .... I only have a domestic cat and NO PIANO. :-(

Turtle