Looking for a teacher in Chicago

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ed haley, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    I have been playing on and of since I was twelve. I am now 79. I dropped out for about 5 years and in the past year have gotten back into it. I am essentially a jazz player and am currently working one night a week and playing pretty good. I am doing serious practice-for me- and I think I am doing most of the right things. But, I would like to work with teacher who wouldn't think it a waste of time for a guy my age to learn something new ( or at least better) but I don't know where to look.I have heard lots of good info on this site so I am hoping to get some good advice. Any takers?

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try Nick Drozdoff!

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    In Chicago you have all kinds of great resources for private teachers. If you get nothing from what Trent recommended try calling the universities (Northwestern, Roosevelt, etc.) see who the trumpet teachers are and then call them.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have had some limited experience with the Mature Aged Student (MAS)and his trumpet teacher - generally it is great relationship because as an MAS you have much better concepts of what you want. You ask "better" (more focussed) questions, and often even practice the things that your tutor suggests - age WILL NOT be a problem for a good teacher - and you are way ahead of many TMers - you've lived through the Golden Age of Jazz.