looking for a trumpet in USA ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by inkobl, Jun 18, 2009.

1. inkobl

inkobl New Friend

Aug 27, 2008
    Hi I'm currently making a trip around USA, I'm from France and I would like to buy a trumpet. But I don't know wich is the best place ? I'm currently in San Francisco will travel to Chicago and New Orleans. I don't want a shilke, just looking for an eclectic trumpet to play any kind of style... I'm a beginner.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    WOW What a great link, and what a selection. I really am surprised to see student horns at these great prices. It really covers all players. I think I could spend some time in there, bit like a sports shop....

4. inkobl

inkobl New Friend

Aug 27, 2008
    I think it's really expensive we've got the same in france and prices are the same I was expecting cheeper instruments... by the way thank you

Somebody talk me about union music in sf and I will try to see if I can found something in New Orleans cause I think it's a great place for it...

tks nico

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    inkobl,

If you are game to buy over the phone, then one of my horns was purchased through Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (Centre) and they will deliver to your hotel virtually overnight. Roger Kuiper was my contact. The advantage of buying "mail order" is that you save up to 8% in state duties by having the instrument transported interstate. The Getzen 700SP is excellent value for money, has great valves with a lifetime guarantee, made in the USA, is a quality build with a great sound, comes in a very good case, Amado water keys - and is manufactured in silverplate (only) so it is lovely and shiney. Mine cost US$595 (and they threw in a Harman, Straight, and Cup mute at a very very reasonably extra price) - might be worth a look. You could play one locally to get an idea? :dontknow: You can ask them to include essentially your choice of mouthpiece (within reason) otherwise it comes with a 7C - oh, I would recommend having a gold-plated version of your chosen MP because gold-plating in really nice and warm, and price differential is minimised.

6. inkobl

inkobl New Friend

Aug 27, 2008
    I will have prefered the 900 sp of getzen
    but anyway I won't buy any instrument without trying them there is two shop in SF will try to go tomorrow :
    Union Music Company, San Francisco
    Haight Ashbury Music Center

I would be also interested after tryin them by a second hand trumpet...

But the principal question is to know if there is better shop in Chicago and maybe better opportunity in New Orleans or not ?

thanks

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Perhaps you could try, buy, and ship home to France and still save the 8% - regardless of what trumpet you decide is for you? Might be worth asking - probably need airline ticket, passport, and appropriate ID too.

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Union music is a real good place
    I'd highly recommend them

(and i doubt you'll find a better place in chicago or new orleans, probably some places equal but not better)