Looking for book...Chords for Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sachmo, Apr 5, 2007.

1. sachmo

sachmo New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    I saw a book called "Chords for Trumpet" or something very similar. It was copyrighted in 1965 and at one time (maybe even today) was used at Berklee. It contained all the different types of chords (major, minor, diminished, 7th, extended...) with scales and chord notes as well as lines of notes that fit in that chord. It was all organized by chords. Does anyone know where I can buy this book? I saw it at someones house and it looked really old. Thanks

2. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Jamie A. has all kinds of theory and chord studies. His scale sylabus has everything you need to write your own book. If you learn the theory behind chord and scale construction you will be much better musician. Also, it's much easier to learn chords, scales, progressions etc. understanding their function than just memorizing the notes.
    Good luck.:D

T. Mac

3. The BuZZ

The BuZZ Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2007
    Chester, NY
    Hi "sachmo",
    The book you are referring to is called "Chord Studies for Trumpet". It was originally written for Saxophone by Joe Viola, and it was adapted for Trumpet by Joe and Ray Kotwica. It is a great book that is quite challenging in that it runs you through all the keys and all the chords associated in that particular tonal center throughout the entire range of the trumpet. I used this book quite often when I was @ Berklee, and upon seeing this thread I went into my library to dig it out and start shedding it once again! Man, I forgot what a workout this book can be! The publisher is "Berklee Press", and unfortunately it is permanently out- of -print!:sorry: Maybe it can be had on e-bay?:dontknow: Check out this site, maybe they can be of some help: Pat Music

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  4. zuester

zuester New Friend

Mar 25, 2005
    The book you are referriong to is Chord Studies for Trumpet by Raymond Kotwica, who was a prof. at Berklee . I used to have a copy , but I loaned it to one of the symphony guys here and he moved and never returned it .
    It is an excellent book , it is written for all instruments(sax, trpt, bone)
    but I don't think it is available any more .
    Although , as always, I could be wrong.

5. sachmo

sachmo New Friend

Mar 22, 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies. It is out of print, but I found a copy on ebay and bought it. I'm looking forward to getting it and working on it. Thanks again. This was my first time using this web site and forum, and I'm really impressed.