Looking for CD suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sungman, May 18, 2009.

1. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Hey since I got the extra money, I'm thinking about buying some jazz cds.
    I would greatly appreciate names of some specific cds or albums by some artist, not just the artist in general(there be too much to buy!)
    So far I've made a list of couple of Miles Davis cds, some Harry James(NOT ENOUGH!! NEED MORE :-P), and some big bands like Benny Goodman.

I like all types of trumpet playing, but looking for more of the big band Jazz genre not classic, and love the ones with the sweet and complicating solos.

Greatly appreciate anymore suggestions!

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Clifford Brown & Max Roach is probably my favorite jazz CD of all time. Clifford is a monster
    Charms of the Night Sky - Dave Douglas. Very different than the big band, but one of my favorite players.
    For fun,
    Sex Mob Does Bond, the bandleader of Sex Mob is a slide trumpeter (Steven Bernstein)

3. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    A few tips here. To save money, go to your local library. I've gotten probably 10MB worth of free, legal music. I go through the CD section and just take anything that looks interesting. From classical to just about anything, you can find it there. I've gotten tons of Count Basie (another band to get recordings of for you) Duke Ellington, Miles, Dizzy, Chet Baker, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton, you'd be surprised what you can find.

So check it out, you can get some great music at a great price, FREE!

4. Blonde_Trumpettt_Lovee

Blonde_Trumpettt_Lovee New Friend

May 3, 2009
    If you want a good jazz trumpet selection get Chris Botti Live in Boston. It has some great jazzy kind of music on it along with some solos and then some bigger band feels to it. Its on amazon though.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    From TrumpetLucian:
    A few tips here. To save money, go to your local library.

What a great idea. I'm off to the library.
    Cheers

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

As a word of warning (in addition to trumpet, i'm heavily interested in computers/digital info/etc.)
    To borrow the CDs is completely legal (and listen to them),
    but to rip those CDs onto your computer is shaky. It is legal while you are still in possession of those CDs, but not afterwards.
    You probably will never get prosecuted, but...
    but I've never done that and I know no one who ever had either :roll:

7. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I wouldn't sweat to much about it. I doubt they would prosecute you for the sole reason that you ripped a few songs off a CD from the library. If they would, I don't see you getting into to much trouble over it.

8. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    Alright I'll take your advice about the library....but still I would like some more suggestions so I can see what to borrow.

9. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    Wynton Marsalis the Magic Hour, Terrence Blanchard A Requiem for Katrina, Chris Botti The Best of Chris Botti, lesser known guy Terrell Stafford Taking Chances ( great cd)

10. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Bob Florence and The New Edition, in this order of albums:

Earth
    With All The Bells And Whistles
    Serendipity 18
    Jewels
    Soaring