Looking for CD suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sungman, May 18, 2009.

1. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Clifford Brown with Strings, Chet Baker Big Band, Al Hirt Live at Carnegie Hall (w/Gerald Wilson Orchestra), Miles at Montreaux, Gil & Cartas "En Mi Corazon" w/Doc Severinsen as a sideman (new and brilliant), any Rob McConnell album w/Guido Basso soloing, anything from Jack Sheldon, any Ellington, Basie, Dizzy, Herman, Kenton cds, "early" (60s) Maynard, any Don Ellis cds, and to bring you up to date something by Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, Tom Kubis's band, Rich Wetzel's great band out of Washington, etc., etc., etc. There's so much to choose from!

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Trumpet Evolution....Arturo Sandoval.
    It has a compilation a little bit of everything.

Unforgivable Blackness........Wynton Marsalis, wow, this is incredible.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  3. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting note thank you. Its pretty common I believe at least at my library, they know that especially kids my age borrow them for iTunes. Is it illegal if its only for a personal collection and not ever used for profit?

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Dizzy Gillespie and The United Nation Orchestra, Live at The Royal Festival Hall! Dizzy, Arturo and Claudio is awesome on this recording, my all time favourite! Should be in everyones collection..:-)

5. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    If I had extra money to spend, I be sure to remember that Jazz is far wider than the trumpet. I believe our listening should include as much as possible. Charlie Parker: Confirmation, Charles Mingus:Ah Um, Monk: Straight No Chaser, Joe Lovano: Trio Fascination, Louis Armstrong: Hot Fives and Sevens, Count Basie: Atomic Swing, Duke Ellington:'Anything by him', Ornette Coleman:The Shape Of Jazz Too Come, Herbie Hancock:Cantaloupe Island, Frank Sinatra: 'Anything' (Listening to singers is a great way to learn phrasing). To name but a few. I know this is a trumpet forum, but I listen to as much as I can, we can learn something different from everything we listen to. I have left out more trumpet players as I'm sure you will get many suggestions over here.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You might want to check out The Tonight Show Band with Doc Severensen. Both CD's are just about as hot as it gets for big band. Also, MF Live at Jimmy's.
    Although its hard to find, the CD's Taking Notes and Taking Notes II is very good too. Someone mentioned Trumpet Evolution by Sandoval and I'd second that. His version of the song Maynard Ferguson will make the hair on your neck stand up.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Anything from The London Trumpet Company eg "The London Trumpet Company 2". "Jazz Trumpet" Dizzie Gillespie and others. "Canadian Brass Seen and Heard".

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Newer Count Basie CDs...

Live At El Morocco.

Swing Shift. A great tune there..."Four For Basie" featuring all four trumpets, each soloing twice.

Both CDs feature that great Basie trumpet section with Mike Williams on lead and Scotty Barnhart on the jazz book.

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Yes, because you don't legally own those CDs so you no longer have a right to have the music from them.

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Don't forget Louis