Looking for German music for a polka band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Sep 29, 2011.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    We are trying to expand the playlist for our "German polka band". We have a couple of books already; Polka Time by Forest Butchel, Hungry Five in Germany by Harry Alford, and a couple others odds and ends that we pull from. Mostly polkas and waltzes. We play in parades, at some Lutheran events, and a few of us are even playing a few bar gigs in October.

We've been searching for more of the little marching band size books with no luck. Most of the stuff we play is high school level but we're always looking for more stuff to play.

Suggestions?

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    You could see if you can get any of the polkas from the “Happy Schnapps Combo” Famous for
    The song “The Bears still suck Polka” and other favorites like,
    You can’t teach the Japanese to Polka,
    Pull my finger,
    You can get arrested,
    He ate too much,
    Dis ain’t my toilet,
    We can get drunker den Youse,
    And many other classic Polkas !!
    :thumbsup:

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I gotta say, aren't most polkas just variations on a couple themes? :D When I was in a wedding band years ago, when someone asked for a polka we'd literally pick a key, the rhythm section would play the usual polka beat, and us horn players would just honk out whatever came to mind, no reading of music needed. Seems crazy right? I don't think we ever had a complaint.