Looking for new music. Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bydetn18, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Not really a big fan of t.raditional jazz

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oh. Uhh, OK.

3. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    I wasn't trying to be weird. I just find it kinda irritating as i trumpet player to not be able to find stuff I like listening to.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bydetn18, it is important to keep in mind the evolution of music. A new style emerges as a reaction to the status quo. My music history professor likened it to the history of America. Musical pioneers would settle in a new territory because there wasn't enough elbow room in the old one, and the new style was usually minimalist (not in the Philip Glass way) and a cleaner sounding product.

The progression from Renaissance to Baroque to Classical to Romantic to Neoclassic took up huge chunks of time, and nearing the ends of each period they would expand their orchestration. Modern pop music has developed the same way. Horns and/or strings were added to rock, funk and pop. Modern pop and country haven't evolved far enough to include horns.

It appears you might have to be a pioneer.

Keep us posted.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try the Dave Douglas Quintet. You can search this on YouTube. Do give it a try. He is instrumental. In the same vein, thy also the San Francisco Jazz Collective.

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Maybe Troy Andrews will fit the bill. Troy Andrews is better known as Trombone Shorty. He mainly plays the trombone but it's not uncommon for him to bust out the trumpet. Plus, when he does you find out that he is VERY good... better than a lot of pro trumpet players in my opinion.

He does a lot of different styles with his band... So check him out.

Kujo

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    SF Jazz Collective Very Superstitious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBZ-2PzSgY

8. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
  9. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    OP,

i know what you mean, and the more contemporary newer stuff just isnt out there in sheet music yet (or maybe not ever?). Trombone Shorty is a great example, i would buy all his sheet music if you could find it.
    I guess it will give you some ear training exercise.

10. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the additional suggestions. Havent had a chance to check them out yet, but will post feedback when i do.