Looking for new trumpet CDs - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PakWaan, Sep 19, 2013.

1. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Well, I've got a bunch of stuff to audition on Amazon! Thanks!

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
  3. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

I just got Tom Hooten's "Trumpet Call" the other day. Great player!! Great music for solo trumpet and piano.

Best,
    Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham, Woody Shaw, and ones that are still alive and kicking, Eddie Henderson, Claudio Roditi, and Dave Douglas that was already mentioned.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Dr. Gary Onady, Gmonady right above this post has nice NICE work on his cds with the Eddie Brookshire group.

Highly recommended!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chuck, thanks, thanks so much for your kind support. I really hope we get our newest CD out soon as well. This is our best material yet, but Eddie is just so darned particular. Again so much thanks goes out to you. I do hope the Quintet will be able to visit Detroit again soon. Would love the chance to get together and share good times once again.

Gary

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I do not believe Clifford Brown has been mentioned on this thread, which is a little surprising.
    Jim

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Unless I missed him, I didn't see Louis Armstrong mentioned. Warning: "Mack the Knife" will stick in your head for months and you'll sing it nonstop around the house and so drive the wife crazy, and you will also be tempted to try to emulate his voice in normal conversation.

If you're looking for more modern, I like Tine Thing Helseth, Chris Botti, and I've recently become acquainted with some stuff from Till Bronner that I really enjoyed. Alison Balsom has a sweet sound, and she's better looking than, uh, well, everyone mentioned so far**.

I appreciate that not everyone likes the vocals here, but I can listen to this all day, and the horn is supremely cool:

Alastair Miles sings "The trumpet shall sound" - YouTube

**I'm not counting my wife, who is most certainly NOT a trumpet player.

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Oh, and Herb Alpert! He's the reason I play a trumpet today.