Looking for possible Skype instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harrys, Feb 17, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well, you just need to practice then. The C will come but first the B and the A. Practice is the only thing that will help you. Since you know what you have to do I think the best thing is for you to just have fun until you can make a good sound on your trumpet. Then lessons would be great for you.
    Best of luck,
    Cody

2. Harrys

Harrys New Friend

Feb 8, 2012
    Thanks, but part of the problem is not knowing what or how much to practice. I may also have not developed a correct embouchure, which is why I'm possibly looking for lessons. But, point taken.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Oh no, not at all. I didnt want to say that you dont need a instructor, not at all. Everyone could benefit from an instructor. But it may be better to get a beginner trumpet book and just work through that before you start getting lessons online. It is much easier to give lessons in person. Have you looked for a community band where you could ask someone if they would help you?

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    One tip you hear over and over on TM is to take itervals of rest during practice to give your chops a chance to recover. 10 minutes on, ten minutes off. Or whatever you feel is best for your needs. If you are getting fairly good tone and your lips aren't killing you after playing a while, you're probably on the right track. Getting a teacher is never a bad idea though.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think the key is not overplaying, but this is merely opinion. I developed bad habits I had to break because I was too ambitious before I was ready.

Good luck in your search for an instructor. You may also benefit by consulting local musical groups in the area about trumpet teachers.