Looking for recording of MF's ...

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by gzent, Jun 9, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Anyone know where I can get a recording of 'Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me' by Maynard Ferguson? Our big band plays this chart and we have a couple of spots where we don't agree on the rhythm.

Thanks,

Greg

2. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Hi,

Unfortunataly, MF has never released a recording of this (at least to my knowledge)....However, Paul Cacia did this chart on his "Portrait in Time" CD.

3. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  4. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I believe it's in the MF Hit Medley on the Big Bop Nuveau live album. The one with 7 (?) tracks.

5. Vessehune

Vessehune Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Sunnyside, WA
    There is a couple of video clips on Trumpetstuff.com showing maynard playing the tune. Maybe by chance the part is in one of the clips!!

6. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    There are two different recordings from live Maynard shows available on some file-sharing programs. Sound quality isn't great, as I believe it was recorded in the late 70's/early 80's, but it's certainly good enough. If you can't find them, contact me as I think someone burned them onto CD for me.

Note: I'm fairly certain that "Sun" isn't on that MF Medley, because I think I used to own it (I could be senile though, so no promises :lol: ). It also distinctly says on the the famed Maynard Tribute Page (www.maynard.ferguson.net) that it was never recorded. Bummer :(