Looking for Schools in Canada

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Jun 17, 2007.

1. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I'm originally from Canada but haven't lived there for a few years. I really want to go to school in Canada for music but don't know much about any of the good music schools (there's only so much information one can get off the website). I know there are some proffesors on TM so ANY information about ANY schools in Canada would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    McGill has Ed Carroll and Paul Merkelo
    Victoria British Columbia has Lou Ranger

Great teachers at those two schools.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    What kind of music? CLassical or jazz?

I went to Humber College in Toronto. It is top notch for jazz. There is Also a goos jazz and classical program at U of T.

York also has a jazz program as well as Mohawk college.
    I think Western and Wilfred Laurier also have classical music programs

4. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Glenn Gould School : Andrew McCandless
    University of Brandon : Alan Ehnes
    Conservatoire de Montreal : Manon LaFrance
    U Ottawa : Karen Donnelly
    U British Columbia : Larry Knopp

and then the aforementioned
    Mcgill : word of caution, Merkelo doesn't take students every year.
    U Victoria

5. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    Tough question. Truth is I don't really know. I want to perform jazz and do a jazz graduate program but, but I think that not doing ANY classical would be unhealthy as a musician. Anybody have input on the "jazz or legit" problam?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Take jazz from the start to get your swing feel and concepts down, as well as your improv stuff. While you are at jazz school work with your private teacher on studies and classical stuff. Your classical work will build your jazz technique tremendously.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just concentrate on being the best the trumpet player you can, and you'll find that styles will compliment, rather than be in competition with each other. At the cutting edge of art there are not yet labels. Have fun!

8. BobButch

BobButch New Friend

Feb 13, 2008
    Prince George, BC. Canada
    Lou is a wonderful teacher, he'll make sure your ready for whatever you choose. Allot of university's also run some kind of jazz program, U. Vic has some great jazz teachers. Douglas College and Capilano College in Vancouver also have great jazz programs. If you get out into the communities and play you'll soon find the stuff that excites you.

9. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    If you want to go into jazz then that's where you should start. There are plenty of classical performance opportunities to round out your education but if you want to pursue jazz in your carreer then that's what you should pursue in your studies. Any good trumpet teacher will give you exercises and etudes to help develop your fundamentals and technique in addition to improv work.