Looking for some work done

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I just got a used YTR-6445H C Trumpet. I was in lessons today and realized my teacher had the same horn but had it opened up a bit with a Bob Malone Lead pipe setup and a different tuning slide. The brackets are also moved around a bit along with different sleeves for the slides. I am looking for someone that can do a setup similar to this for me as my horn is very stuffy and not very resonant. I am familiar with Blackburn but are there other companies or people that are well known for making these types of setups.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Are you sure the horn needs changing? Perhaps a different mouthpiece backbore is less expensive and more useful.

Tom

3. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    There was a noticable and well liked difference between the two even with just the same mouthpiece.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am sure that the Malone leadpipe is pretty good, Yamaha uses them on the artist models, but that a 6xxx C-trumpet is "stuffy", doesn't sound right to me. The consistency of those horns is exemplary. I think you need to do some extended testing in a decent sounding room. What you experienced could just be how well you hear yourself in the room where you previously tested. Just moving a brace a little bit can do that.

I am sure that you can get the current leadpipe as a spare part from Yamaha.

5. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Does anyone know where to get professionals on different tunings slides or 1st and third valve slide?

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

mkdrawing is a big source.
    Also a lot of the top repair men (melk, osmun, etc.) make them

7. cobragamer

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Mk drawing seems the best so far (just based on their website) plus they have the trial period. Keep posting if you have any more information for me, thanks.

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The closest thing you will find to Malone type tweaks would be with Ken Larson. Larson used to work with Malone in LA. His shop is in Michigan near the Interlochen campus. He has a nice web site.

Blackburn is doing conversion work again. I'm sure you could arrange to visit his shop and try some different components. You could easily drive from NC.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    if possible you could take your trumpet to a competant tech and he/she could evaluate your horn, it may need a valve alignment, gap adjustant or lead pipe. a good tech could point you in the right direction and save you a lot of heart-ache, not to mention money.