Looking for the Giannini and the Arutunian

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Lamkin, Sep 27, 2007.

1. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    Hey Guys,

I am back in the saddle again for another year. I have a trumpet student who is studying the "Arutunian Concerto" and I have one studying the "Giannini Concerto." Do any of you have any suggestions as to what CD I should get to have them listen to? The suggestions I got last semester regarding the "St. Marc" and "The Bride of the Waves" were wonderful. Thanks

Also, I have a student who is beginning to do a pretty good job on the Bb Pic. I am looking for a concert band piece that features the Pic. Any suggestions?

Let me know, thanks.

John

2. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    For the Arutunian, I'd get a Dokshizer recording. Many others exist, all by fine players, but nothing compares. It's on a cd entitled Russian Treasures. Check it out, and good luck to your student, I'm studying it as well :-)

3. John Lamkin

John Lamkin New Friend

Feb 5, 2007
    I got the Arturo Sandoval recording of the Arutiunian and it's GREAT! This would be a good one to get and compare it to the Dokshizer recording. But I'm still looking for the Giannini.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Another one (of the Arutunian concerto) that it is really great it is Rod Franks on his solo CD" Saving face"
    The only thing that may put you off a bit: it is not with symphony orchestra, but concert Band, but they play really well.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DITTO.
    This is the standard by which all others must measure. Timofei has this piece in his blood.
    There is nothing wrong with having other recordings too, this one is an absolute MUST.

I have also performed the band version. The transcription (by Guy Duker I think) is EXCELLENT.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

I think that the Arrangement played by Coldstram Guards and Rod Franks is not the same that you played. However, both are written very well, so one should not be worried if playing any of them. This is not essential in the present case, as John's student is more likely to play with a piano accompaniment.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    There is also a recording of Bibi Black playing Arutunian. It is pretty good.

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    For a contemporary piccolo trumpet piece give Allen Vizzutti an email at the University of Washington in Seattle. My favorite a one your student can probably hammer out is "High Class Brass". The publisher is Village Place Music. This is a crowd pleaser for showmanship. I think you may need two students since I think Jeff Tyzik joined him on some of it. I heard it live in San Antonio.

The CD should be available: Perelandra Music, 36 Eastman Ave. Rochester, NY 14618 phone 716-475-1230.

Try amazon.com

9. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    There is a Sweelinck transcription of one of his organ works for band, I can't recall the name, Ballo..... In any case, the 1st trumpet part has a lot of solo stuff typically done on picc, we did this a few years back and I played all the picc stuff at the end, a lot of fun.