Looking for Transcribed Trumpet Parts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by imjay, Feb 13, 2011.

1. imjay

imjay New Friend

Feb 8, 2011
    Having begun playing again later in life (age 63) I'm looking for virtual musicians to play with.

Decades ago we could buy LP records called "Music Minus One" and the package included trumpet charts that one could use to play along with the recorded group music.

I can play along with the DVDs of the reunion of the my band from the 60s and I would like to get hold of trumpet charts of other groups.

I'd like to find trumpet parts transcribed so that I can play along with my favorite groups like Chicago and Blood, Sweat and Tears.

If anyone knows of a source from which I can purchase trumpet part charts for all of the classic Chicago songs I would REALLY appreciate the information.

I doubt I'll ever come across others to play with in my rural area.
    Thanks
    Jimmy

2. Iceman444443

Iceman444443 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    Here's a post I found from Markie on 6/8/10:

Hi Hillbilly Joe,
    Here's what I did. I purchased two books called Chicago Transcribed Scores Vols 1 & 2.
    Then I took the trumpet parts and wrote them out on Finale notepad (which I think is a free download, if its no longer free there are others that are.) to separate them from the book which has all the parts written like a conductor's score. All I can say WOW!!!
    Since I have the songs on CD, I now have the best Chicago play along money can buy. The sheet music is written exactly as the CD goes. It as if you are in the band.
    Here's info if you want to get the sheet music books:
    Chicago Transcribed Scores Vol.1 Hal Leonard ISBN 0-7935-7064-6
    Chicago Transcribed Scores Vol.2 Hal Leonard ISBN 0-7935--7066-2
    ----
    As for the recorded songs, just download them off of Rapsody, Amazon or whatever your favorite download site. Be sure the songs are from the studio recordings and not one of the many live recordings that exist.

3. imjay

imjay New Friend

Feb 8, 2011
    Even in "HillBilly" land we can do some things like "CitySlickers" like you :)

I recently bought the Books one and two you referenced. MY GOD - you used Notepad to transcribe??? - However did you find the patience or is there a trick for using it besides one note at a time? I started with Notepad free version and I figured I'd be dead before I finished the transcribe.

I've started scanning the pages of the scores and then I'm going to cut and paste the trumpet lines into single or two page charts. So far I've done Make Me Smile and it worked pretty quick and easy.

The problem is the parts of live performances that AREN'T in the transcribed scores.

Example - in one of the earlier Chicago albums they do a sort of medley that begins with Make Me Smile which transitions to Beginnings and finishes with a final tag of Make Me Smile.

I'd prefer to not have to listen, play and write the trumpet parts of the transition that include a spiffy trumpet solo and a trumpet and flute duet but, so far, those arrangements don't seem to be part of any printed score. IF you know the part I'm wanting and it is in print PLEASE let me know.

You're on to something with the CDS and I have all of the Chicago CDs but it's a whole lot more fun to play along with the Chicago DVD concerts and, so far, I have two good ones and looking for more - I've got one from 2002 and one from 2005 that I found at Netflicks.

Out in the "sticks" we have to create a lot of our own entertainment - My bride and I have no venues for miles around like we enjoyed all those years ago in the big city when we were first married - mainly, taverns with arcade games - SO - I've converted our garage to a bar and game room with a bunch of pinball and other arcade games - beer neons and etc.

THE POINT is I built in a "theater" component so when I'm ready to "play" with Chicago or Blood, Sweat and Tears or even my old band - Mouse and The Boys (I am NOT making that name up - goggle it) - I can throw larger than life images on the wall screen and augment the 5:1 movie surround with a LOUD, LOUD AND LOUD 2 channel stereo with PA speaker components.

It is almost like being there side-by-side with Lee Loughnane!

Anywho, if you have transcribed some live performance missing parts could you save them as a PDF and send them via a personal email?
    Thanks from "Hillybilly Joe"

4. imjay

imjay New Friend

Feb 8, 2011
    BTW Iceman
    Our arrangements were simple but if you would like to play along with Mouse and The Boys I'd be happy to send you a DVD of one of our 2005 reunion sets along with our simple horn parts. Most of our "horn" songs are from the old R&B days - if you search youtube for "American Trilogy" and "I Feel Good" you will find these two songs as performed by Mouse, The Boys & Brass :)
    Thanks again for your suggestions!
    Jimmy

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    why dont you try and transcribe them? I know its alot of effort at first but is really good for your playing of if your lazy like my why not try horn-tabs.net loads of good things on there, especially modern pop/ska :)

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
  7. imjay

imjay New Friend

Feb 8, 2011
    Reedy - you're right - I should take the parts from the Chicago books and just add the not included solo and other extra trumpet notes as I learn them them/play them - just being lazy.

Yes - there is still a lot of "music-minus-one" stuff out there but not much of it has any appeal - I don't care to buy "intermediate Trumpet Solos" and the like - I want to play along with James Brown and the Fabulous Flames - Sam & Dave - and similar old R&B and Rock groups :-) - at least I can play along from my old band's 2005 reunion and we did a lot of that kind of stuff but I want access to a lot more if I can find it.

THE WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE - My bride bought me a Blood, Sweat & Tears score transcription book - yes, it has the scores but in addition it has all of the individual horn parts printed and ready to play.

Thanks to all for the answers and suggestions.

8. trptplus

trptplus New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi,

I'm new to this post and was wondering if anyone has the trumpet solo to Beginnings by Chicago in a PDF? If you do could you please me a copy?

Thanks.

9. imjay

imjay New Friend

Feb 8, 2011
    I would be very happy to pay someone a reasonable fee for transcription of Lee Loughnane's trumpet parts. How about all of the tracks from the 2004 "Soundstage" concert filmed in Chicago?!?

Seems like over the years the group Chicago has played pretty much the same songs in the same keys. Getting Lee's parts transcribed should already have been done (unless there are legal issues).

I don't want to transcribe them. I just want to try to play them along with Chicago.

If anyone knows of a reasonable cost for transcription please post. Thanks.