Looking to start up again, need some help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maraschinoli, Jul 21, 2008.

1. maraschinoli

maraschinoli New Friend

Jul 21, 2008
    USA
    Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've played my horn actively, and now I would like to start up again. I stopped playing frequently because I never felt that my range and endurance were up to par. I also used to have problems with my throat closing up and my embouchure (I guess I'm sort of a wimp!)

I'd sort of like to start over. Can anyone recommend some great ways to get started? Maybe some embouchure and breathing exercises? I do have Arban's and a few other books, where should I begin? I really want to eliminate any problems that I used to have and start fresh. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Lisa :play:

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    H Lisa, I would take a couple of days and use the search feature here. Plug in your questions and do some reading.

My advice would be to find a private teacher even if it is just for a couple of lessons. The Arbans is perfect. Where should you begin? How about pg. 1 of the Arbans!

Good Luck!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll give you the easy way and the hard way.
    The easy way: get a real teacher to coach you for at least the first 6 months.

The hard way: ask in an internet forum..................

Seriously, there is no greater gift that you could give to yourself than the gift of getting it right this time!

If for some reason you feel that you have no choice, start by getting your breathing right. I use something called the circle of breath.
    Imagine a circle. The left side is inhale, and the right side is exhale or play. At the top and bottom of the circle are perfectly smooth transitions from one state to the next. Practice breathing like that until you can take a HUGE breath and smoothly transition to exhale. Then replace exhale with long tones on the trumpet.
    For the first couple of weeks, just play those long tones without tonguing. Your sound should still be clean and clear. Now add some lip slurs and some easy tunes, like out of the hymnbook. Don't forget that HUGE breath! Try and avoid getting too anxious for the first month. The faster you move, the faster your old habits will come back!
    Come back after a month and let us know how you are doing. Then we can get into some technical exercizes!

Good luck

Robin

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lisa,

Here is where you start: You are NOT a wimp. Do not think it or you will undermine yourself. You are God's gift to trumpet playing, needing just some time, practice, and conviction to fulfill your music-making desire.

Cast out that other nonsense right now. Everyone has lips and a throat. They are not excuses, they are attributes. Yours simply need moral support from you in the form of believing in yourself.

So do that, and get a teacher, and go for it.

5. maraschinoli

maraschinoli New Friend

Jul 21, 2008
    USA
    Thanks everyone!

I think everyone is definitely right, and very helpful! I should have probably mentioned that I can't exactly afford a private teacher, but I think I will try to save up some money each week and try to go twice a month or something.

For now, I will thumb through the forums and see what I can come up with to avoid potential problems. I really like the breathing circle idea, and the tonguing idea. Rowuk, are you speaking about breath attacks?

Lastly, I really do need to erase any negativity and start fresh. I hear it hinders progress! I'll keep you all posted.

- Lisa :thumbsup:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lisa,
    I don't like the term "breath attack". I visualize it as something MUCH different than the top of a circle. I basically mean exhale into the horn without any "force". If you practice the circle of breath WITHOUT the horn, and then with a mouthpiece and finally with the horn, you will see how relaxed great sound can be. Attack is something that I do after my practice session - with something to drink.