Loose Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Nov 10, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can anyone see a problem putting one layer of tape on a Taylor mouthpiece so it fits my Olds Recording?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A poor fit would be my concern.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Alan,
    You're putting a bandaid on a grenade wound.
    Take the horn and the mouthpiece to a machinist to see which is not round. They should be able to fix it with little trouble.
    Dr.Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The gap would be increased, but then, with each leadpipe have a unique optimal gap, I am not sure this would be the as important variable as would be having a secure tight fit, which I cannot envision happening with tape.

5. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    The fit is perfect with a one layer of thin tape. The Taylor is meant for a Taylor trumpet.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe it's time for you and your Olds Recording to visit local music shops for a mouthpiece safari.

7. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Sorry, i have not made myself clear. Both horn and mouthpiece are perfect. The Taylor lead pipe is smaller than most (in diameter). Therefore a Taylor mouthpiece in a Olds recording goes in too far, a layer of tape gives the right gap, checked against another mouthpiece.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Then you've made an unwise horn/mouthpiece combination.
    You need a different:
    1.Horn that will accept that mouthpiece you've got.
    2.A different mouthpiece that will fit in the horn you have.
    Yes you can slap a piece of tape on it but does that really sound like a wise thing to do?
    If you're looking for anyone to say "Yes!! that's exactly what I'd do in this situation!!" I don't think you're going to find many on this site to give you confirmation. You don't have to like it but it is what it is and we've all been in similar if not exactly the same situation. They don't fit so move on to something that does.
    Gmonady is spot on. You need a different mouthpiece.
    Dr.Mark

9. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Many thanks for all your advice i shall take it an order one that fits. Again many thanks.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I find the tape to be the perfect short-term solution! In time, though, the tape will need to be replaced, and it is difficult to totally match the dimensions of the previous tape. You may wish to consider adding an adjustable gap receiver to your trumpet or a new receiver, or look into getting a sleeve conversion from Bob Reeves for your mouthpiece. Either way, you are going to have to modify something, but if the horn and mouthpiece (and tape) is a perfect fit, it will be worth the effort to make it permanent.

Have fun!