loosing teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Jul 21, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    My dentist says that due to persistant apses ( cant spell that word) i might have to loose 2 back teeth. still have most of the suckers but the future may not be so good!!
    So the question is if i loose most of the back ones eventually can i still play? I am not a good player just love the sounds i can make and keep tryingto improve.
    any advice welcome.
    thanks
    steve

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Steve, :welcome: to TM.
    There are many posts on dental problems in the various forums here but I can't for the life of me remember one on abcesses. As a amateur hack (rather than a professional one), I would expect that the loss of your molars would have much less impact than losing teeth further forward in your mouth.

3. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Correct, but losing back teeth can effect the the alignment of the remaining teeth. I wear a partial lower denture due to loss of several teeth from periodental disease.

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. My kid loses teeth left and right (he's 9) and it doesn't affect his playing at all. Just sometimes he says that it feels funny to tongue. The worst thing you can do is convince yourself that it will affect your playing, because it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Because of a battlefield altercation in Vietnam I am missing all of the upper teeth on the left side of my mouth from the canine to the rear and all of the bicuspids on the lower left side. The North Vietnamese troop that used his rifle butt on my face learned very quickly that he had made a deadly mistake. I have yet to have any problem playing even without my partial plates. Don't sweat it. By the way, my teaching tool was a 1911A1. Quite effective at close range.

OLDLOU>>

6. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Check out the YouTube clips of Harry James playing in the early 1960's with Buddy Rich on drums. Harry's playing with false teeth and sounds awesome.

Louis Armstrong and Chet Baker are a few others who "figured it out" too.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I lost molars and continued to play professionally

8. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks guy feel alot better now.
    still at the beginner stage but loving it and after walking away from a lot of the sports i love due to injuries and arthritis did not want to loose the trumpet.
    the thing is the trumpet has motivated me to take a differnt look at sports and have started playing a bit of golf and swimming again, with out the competitive drive but just for enjoyment.
    thanks again

9. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    found some clips thanks, chet bakers autumn leaves is the way i hope to sound one day.