Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Tootsall, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't suppose that the particular "Lord of the Rings" score that Noel worked on was the recent winner of this year's "Golden Globes" film score award? If so... congratulations Noel! Good going.

And if not, or "regardless") well there were certainly lots of "Golden Globes" to watch, weren't there? :D

Still wish they'd give musician credits but I suppose with all the "coming and going" that might take up a bit too much screen time. Yet, it would be nice if somewhere in the public domain there existed lists for each film so that those interested could go and check for themselves.

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Yes, I waited all the way through the credits to see who was playing (James Watson had said at the RAM open day that he was playing on it), and all it said was "London Philharmonic Orchestra".

Does anyone know who was playing? Was it Paul Beniston (I guess because of the LPO listing)?

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    "...a lot of Golden Globes to watch." Do you mean breasteses? I HATE not having normal TV over here!!!!

--Kevin

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I asked my teacher (Paul Archibald) about this and he emailed me this reply:

Hi Jack

Yep, I did some of the Lord of The Rings soundtrack. Part 3 alone involved two symphony orchestras, over 150 hours of recording time and is without doubt the biggest recording project to have been undertaken for any film. Most of the film was recorded at EMI studios or at The Coliseum, Watford and the trumpet players on the project includedAndy Crowley, John Barclay, Maurice Murphy, Dan Newall, Paul Beniston, Tom Rainer and myself. A few different instruments were used including rotary valve trumpets and F trumpets (these are massive in length and a nightmare to play!) The composer,HowardShore, managed to win an Oscar for himself. Not surpriing really!!

Paul