Loss of Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Mar 27, 2012.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    I am a comeback player. I have been taking lessons for the past few years and have really improved. I just can't find motivation anymore. I have tried to find groups to play with, but none need trumpet players in my area. Suggestions?

I have been listening to quite a bit of jazz lately. My lessons consist mostly of the basics, Arbans, Clarke, etc. Any utility in trying something new. Are there jazz-specific exercises or playing books to go to?

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
  3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Make the world your audience. Play duets with yourself!

Digital H2 Video Recorder
    Bb Real Book
    Band in a Box
    YouTube

4. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    How does one play duets with oneself?

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think you will like these videos. Just think that you can be able to do this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDF8OeD-hc&list=FLSbdu_GFFoJ3l4gU5i3KniQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video
    DCI National Anthem Trumpet - YouTube
    Maurice Andre - Badinerie TRUMPET - YouTube
    Bill Chase and Maynard Ferguson - Superman - YouTube

Dont give up, trumpet is a great instrument and you can do many great things with it. Maybe you need to find a cool trumpet that catches your eye, see the looks of it but cant justify buying it at your playing state. Strive to get good enough to see the justice in spending that money on it. Here are some cool sites:
    Taylor Trumpets - Collaboration Models
    Trumpets
    Monette Instruments
    Trumpet players are always needed. I strongly suggest for you to join this if you are able. You will be called upon if you are needed to play taps to honor a veteran.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Keep it up bud, trumpet will last you forever. :thumbsup:

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wow, 3 responses when I was typing my long one.

You just record yourself playing 1 part then record yourself playing the 2nd. Then put them together.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, and we can all grow up to be President, too...:lol:

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Cody's right...

Plug some headphones into a metronome so you make a homebrewed "click track"
    Record the 1st part. Edit as needed to produce a good lead in so the 2nd part easily knows when the start is.
    Then you have two choices...
    1. Play the 2nd part along with the recording you just made.
    2. Record separately just the 2nd part and then edit them together into a final product.

Kind of a basic version of the way James Morrison did his new video "Snappy Too"

Everyone here knows that the "Superman" video posted above is NOT Bill Chase... but rather is Walt Johnson playing with the Chase guys. I have email the posted a couple time to update the title but get no response.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes we just need to muddle through--pick up the horn play some fun stuff, and get to work.

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    It really doesnt matter, it is a great song. I want this on my ipod but cant find a mp3 of it.

I will start emailing the poster, see if I get anything. But it could be an account where they forgot the password and just left it.