Loss of Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Mar 27, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Its possible, it really is. But I think playing a song is a lot easier.
    I said that you can be able to play that song, not you will play it like Maurice in a few weeks.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Motivation is not a prerequsite to playing the trumpet. As a matter of fact motivation usually comes after one steps into the practice arena. I find that if I wait until I'm motivated, that I would never practice. I have to actually sit down practice, and then motivation kicks in to psyche me up more. It is like the quarterback who has the ball on the 1 yd. line with 1 &1/2 min left to play to score a TD to win the game. His motivation was building up during the game. He moves with precision and wins.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I was going to post a reply which would address this issue, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Sigh.

4. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    You've been on the comeback trail for several years and are losing motivation,

Sign up for "Bugles Across America".......get hooked up with some of your State's National Guard
    MFH teams(Military Funeral Honors)and sound Taps for a former service veteran.
    Share your talent and get a feelgood at the same time.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You can make one from any YouTube video then save it locally
    YouTube to mp3 Converter

6. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Perseverance is a key.................
    There are times when nothing is right..............
    There are times when every one is against you.........
    There are times when your stressed............
    There are times when you feel like s$%t
    There are times of low motivation...........
    There are countless reasons..........(excuses)...........all valid and understandable .............we all feel like this at times.
    You mentioned that you are a comeback player and that is great........Just recall why you went back to it the first place, don't loose sight of your goals, and have a dream.
    What was that song by the Beatles ......its a long and winding road. I think thats the one.
    You may want to join a brass band , you will have to switch to cornet while playing with the band, Brass band is not my first love but it has been fantastic with my sight reading and general playing I also have built up great network of like minded friends.
    This has lead me to other playing groups , am now working with a small group towards an armature musical

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before I can contribute, I would like to ask, why are you still picking up your horn at this point?
    What music goals do you have?
    Are there competing career goals of other professions?
    What types of groups have you played with?
    What are the venues of these groups?
    What venues in your community exist but you have yet to try?
    What is your musical training background?
    Classical, jazz, rock interests?

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Yeah, I don't know of any musician who is motivated all the time ..... it comes and goes somewhat as a matter of course for most players. Sometimes, we need to kick ourselves in the *^*&^ to RE-motivate. Most of the time it's so much fun for me that nothing is necessary to get me up early in the morning (looking forward to practicing and playing) and keep me playing. Then, oddly at random times, there are periods when I'm not really inspired to play at all. This works okay with guitar, which can be put down for days, weeks, months, even years at a time without losing much. Trumpet, obviously, is not like that.

My suggestion ...... figure a way to put more FUN into practice. More songs, less technical stuff. What good is the technical stuff if it leaves you unmotivated? :dontknow:

And always, get thee with other players to keep interest high and reach T-Nirvana.

Turtle

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Find a church that uses trumpets (probably a more contemporary than mainline church). They may require you be a Christian. You are guaranteed a weekly gig(s) depending on the size of the church.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh Yeah. Spend an entire day listening to multiple stories of complaints, suffering and pain... This is one musician who when he gets home is totally motivated to playing... I tell my staff, "I am going home to blow my brains out". And I do, and that FEELS GOOD! Otherwise, I'd be posting patkins every night for yet another therapeutic moment.