Loss of Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Mar 27, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Are you getting enough sleep, or sunshine?

--bumblebee

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If I was on your staff and didnt know you played trumpet I would be concerned for you.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have trouble with the "motivation" requirement. I don't think that that is the issue. My opinion is that we let too much stuff compete for our time and that "busy-ness" pseudo forces us to prioritize - many times things that are good for us but demanding get thrown out with the wash.

When we were children we had opportunities to just try stuff: one semester of spanish, recorder lessons for 6 months, elective courses, rental instruments, etc. The thought was that exposure could help us find things that we like.

I take a much different approach with my trumpet students. We set goals and then ACHIEVE them. I don't just assign course material over a broad spectrum in hopes that the student finds something that they like. A high D, 16ths at quarter=144, 140db, second movement Haydn. Goals are the stuff that dedication is made of. Without goals motivation is tough. Inspiration is NOT enough, ask any divorced person how wonderful the honeymoon was. Once inspiration was replaced by getting through the day, balancing a checkbook, too many nights out, we need SKILLS not motivation to get though.

Nope, club robinson is cool for some. Not for me or mine.

Once that we have the basic skills, inspiration can help us establish the next goals. Without the skills, Maurice André YouTubes just present an unclimbable mountain and a source for excuses why things don't work.

My recipe is achievable short, medium and long term goals. When we accomplish what we set out for, the next step is far easier. Success breeds further success!

Nickenator gave us some clues. Yes there are some excellent books to learn jazz improvisation. The most popular are from Jamie Aebersold. They come with a playalong CD too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Hit the nail on the head. Every once in a while we must take a good look at our lives and reassess our priorities and our use of time. This is the one life we get. Not one moment that goes by will ever come again. Time parasites are innumerable in today's world. TV is the biggest one. Internet is pretty bad too (mea culpa).

I guess I'm pretty lucky, in a way; I was not fortunate enough to learn music as a kid. All this stuff about being in such and such grade, competing for chairs, meeting other school bands, shooting for all county or all state, that is all foreign to me. Everything I learned was without the cuteness factor. I never had a chance to play for the grandparents and so forth. Only the pure adult learners out there, who start from zero as grown ups can really understand what it means. It is not easy sounding like a 6th grader when one is fully grown up.

But the enormous satisfaction of realizing that it is possible to do, that I can play some music, is a driver more powerful than anything. As I have resumed playing and made some progress, the simple fact of being able to tackle stuff that I always considered reserved to the "real ones", the ones who learned when they were kids, is motivation enough. What prevents me from practicing more is the presence of neighbours (I stop at 8 pm) and the constant concern of overstressing my chops, as I had significant plateaus and setbacks in the past because of that.

So, in a way, I have a hard time to relate to the lack of motivation thing. Sure I have periods when I get all pissy: why are these high notes not here today, what the hell does it take to make some definite progress, when will I be able to consider this or that definitely acquired, this darn piece is so freaking hard. But it's all good. It's all part of the process. My teacher has been great at giving me some perspective on this. Whenever I feel like that, I pull my "Mozart, It's Easy" book and I play some of these nice arrangements of Mozarts most famous airs, not going above G on top of the staff, just playing the song. I hear how much better it is, how much more it sings than 2 years ago, and I'm good to go again.

So I have to admit I am of little help for the motivation thing. You are healthy, you are safe, you have the disposable time and resources to practice an art, and not any one of them, music, the most advanced form of human endeavour, what more could one possibly ask for?

Dupac likes this.
  5. Doug1951

Doug1951 New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    North Carolina
    I'm not "motivated to post to threads here often being one of those newly motivated "comebackers" and finding that there is far more for me to learn from TM than to contribute. But even my own motivation to play again is something I ponder probably more frequently than I should but my summation thus far is I am doing it because I want to........and I want to because I fell in love with the trumpet on the night my dad brought my first trumpet home to me when I was 10 years old and I "fiddled with it that night til I played a simple song and couldnt believe I did that....and I contiued that love afffair throughout 8 years of public school and 2 years of college until my attention focused on other things...
    And now some 30+ years later I find my motivation to practice and play comprised of a few basic ingredients...
    Desire, that is somewhat motivated by admiration of proficient players, to play and speak through the trumpet as I have seen and felt those players do.
    And at my age now I know while that is the goal of desire that motivates me self discipline is the means by which to get there. In my case focus, time management, choosing the right instrument, gaining access to information and experience from others on a similar journey, and balancing patience with anxiety of wanting to play better immediately.....are the components of that self discipline.....
    And when my self discipline gives way to lack of focus..then laziness.....then a search for my own excuse to condone my own surrender to lack of motivation..I pick a quiet time..I fix myself a refreshing drink......I go to a webpage like the one below...listen to three great players with three very different approaches to playing.............and both the desire...and motivation returns almost simultaneously......I always hear something worth striving for.
    I dont recommend this as a fix for anyone else...but it sure works for me.....

Golden Trumpets

and BTW....Thanks to TM and all its members for providing a place to access so much information from players at so many treads on this ladder we are all climbing. (I'll go back to being quiet now.smiles)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You are right doc! No better therapy than music therapy, and no better music therapy than playing trumpet!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

And you don't have to deal with those co-pays, lumpy couches, and the smell of cigars. After all... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... Right? Right? I mean that is Right. Right?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A cigar, according to Freud, is not a cigar. I like Carl Jung, but he and Freud both were wierd enough to be musicans--only I believe Jung would play trumpet, Freud viola.

Any presciptions coming for moderators of Benzo's or pharmacutical Cocaine? It would increase our performance here! If truly your motivation is to do no harm, then send away. We're pretty tough here.

As to the O.P., I'll stand by my post --pick up the trumpet and play. Easy as that.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Sometimes a cigar is a Cuban cigar.

Motivation rarely is a problem for me, and I think partly because I do have the extra time and I keep my life simple so that I continue to have this freedom. I seem to have more of this free time than most people I know. Here are a few things I've "given up" recently for music ....

a. Watching television (I haven't watched any TV for 10 years now, only a select few sporting events and a few serieses (?) on DVD). Truckloads of time become available without this device in your life.

b. I only need about 6 hours sleep. Hey, it adds up.

That would be about 4 extra hours a day for most people, according to statistics. :dontknow:

Turtle

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But sometime, Freud said, it is... Now isn't that just like a viola player!

AND from a guy that made woman's undergarments on the side... Surely you have heard of Freudian slips (bras and girdles)?