Loss of Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Mar 27, 2012.

1. die Bullen

die Bullen Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    I had a heck of a time with motivation myself but I learned trumpet for/ with my son and it is what has kept me going.

But I am surprised you can't find any local bands to play with. Where I am in NJ there are always opportunities to join bands- in the town we have a community band, a Dixieland band and a jazz/ big band group (which I am in). All are looking for trumpet players from 4th chair up to 1st. Sure they aren't paying gigs but if you just want to have fun and play with guys the opportunities should be there.

2. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Here in the south, I have about 50 churches within 10 miles. Churches are ALWAYS looking for special music, and admittedly at first it might not be a paying gig, but that will come later after the word gets out. I played only in my parents church at first, and eventually word spread and others came from other churches to hear me, then the requests started piling up. I liked the compliments, :-) the church liked the visitors, and members liked that their church had "something special" to it. I'm not Mr. Religion, but it was a good feeling all around. You can't go wrong, they'll be thankful for ANYTHING special that you do for them! There are a lot of very talented organists/pianists/church music directors out there who would probably do very unchurch-like things to add some musical variety to their performances!

3. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    The rewards are my motivation, being able to play that thing you couldn't do yesterday.

4. die Bullen

die Bullen Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Westfield, NJ
    frankly there is no real substitute for playing with other guys. Sure it is nice to play to backing tracks at home but nothing replaces the joy of what it sounds like with the boys... It is what the whole thing is about, no?

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Not to mention the Pizza and Wine afterwards.

Regards, Stuart.