Lost chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Apr 22, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Hi

made my debut today playing at our church. 3rd song in and I had a cue to do a solo part of a song and I blew and there was nothing there! couldnt make a sound at all. Never happened before... Just wondered how you prevent it?

Had a few sips of water and waited for the next song and I was back.... I also play bass guitar so have to swap over between instruments...

Any thoughts or tips appreciated

James

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    What equipment are you using? Certeris paribus, get more playing commitments and practice more to build endurance. Until you have the endurance, lip balms such as Burts Bees and Chop Saver, along with a Tylenol 30 minutes before can help. Loosely buzzing to where the lips flap helps the chops.

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Not sure what you mean by equipent. I play a Xeno 8335R come to think about it I have only had it a couple of weeks. Do you think I'm just not used to it yet? Will look out for the balms you mention.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Dry lips will cause that. It happens to most of us at some point. Have that bottle of water next to you just like you do the valve oil. Keep on with the church playing ! It is very rewarding personally.

patkins likes this.
  5. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    You have a nice, new horn, so you can rule that out.

Seeing as how it only happened during a solo part, I'm guessing you got nervous and tensed up, cutting off your air support.

Just remember to stay relaxed. The majority of the people in the audience probably don't know much about trumpet, so just have fun with it. No need to clam up.

Again, that's just my best guess. I'm just a random internet person, so take my words with a grain of salt. :-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Frequent sips of water and ice cubes tucked on the inner side of the lips for a few seconds at a time.

patkins likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  8. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    LOL that was a classic. If I need it quicker do they have the new shipping option to arrive via
    Wing an a Prayer!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you're just going to have to go-with-the-flow.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You are in good company. I have seen it happen to Maynard more than once. He usually ket water nearby. Don't let it bother you. Probably is worrying you more than it should.