Lost chops

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Apr 22, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    ha ha guys loving the banter. By the way I am an ordained minister so don't need Holy water from the Jordan, just tap water is fine and I'll bless it myself ;)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In that case, bless some and send it my way, for I have been bad, very very bad!

3. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi!
    I´m sure LiquidSean is in to something right,it´s important to stay relaxed. And also
    a good advise from gmonady

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    Well then Reverend send me some hi-octane water please, left the hospital wednesday beinging told I need a heart transplant and not much more they could do, so right now I need all the help I can get. If that water worked I would fly to Jordan myself.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Optic,

Really sorry to hear that. We will keep you in our prayers. No it isn't any consolation, but one of my coworkers husbands had a heart transplant over a year ago at UAB. He came to his wife's retirement party last week and looked fine. You would have never known he had the major procedure. We will pray they find you a good match and tha you do well until then.

6. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Will certainly remember you in our prayers this side of the pond too....

7. optic1

optic1 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    West Richland, Washington
    I'm sorry it's like I almost hijacked the thread.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Continued playing of rehearsals and concerts will loosen you up. Practice at home isn't enough. Nor even mere rehearsals. Practice, Rehearsal and PERFORMANCE will cure all.

Essentially what happened is you had an Adrenaline Attack. Trumpet players are particularly susceptible to the reaction of dry mouth, nerves, weakness and a host of other panic driven ills. i still get them though they are more a source of energy rather than weakness. Or:

Conversion of Adrenaline to positive energy rather than inward directed fear.

Frank Sinatra though not a trumpet player had severe stage fright to which he later converted to positive energetic performance. So does Barbara Streisand.

This is why I tell aspiring trumpet players that when given a choice of spending three hours in a home practice situation or three hours in a community band rehearsal or public performance? They should ALWAYS take the group session.

Better to practice a mere 30 minutes a day and spend two hours in rehearsal/concert. This is REAL music time. The same way an airline pilot logs flight hours.

You might also compare the trumpet player's past performance history to that of the gunfighter. Which would you prefer to defend you?

1. The crack shot marksman whom while winning some competitions never faced any real combat?

2. Or the less than spectacular but adequate shooter who had a half dozen armed encounters with his enemies?

Answer: take the veteran killer. he doesn't choke when it counts.

In fact I've often seen superior results in trumpet players who never had much private lesson training but who instead were encouraged to play loudly, aggressively and provided with easy shallow mouthpieces to use. That these type while not adopting the best practice diet were often miles ahead of their peers whose instruction while extensive was remiss in public performance.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Without knowing what mpc you use, this is an open horn which isn't all that fantastic for initial endurance. Don't get me wrong, you have one of the best horns on the market but also don't stress over a lack of endurance. Read Local's post as well. Just practice and play and everything else will come with it.

ChopSaver | All Natural Lip Balm, Therapy & Protection

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks - I use the mpc that came with the xeno its a 16B4 I think - previous trumpet had a 5C all I know is this mouthpiece is similar but approx 1.5mm deeper.

James