lost it!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Jun 27, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Played a lot last week, For me that is. Played my warm up and scales yesterday and seem to have lost everything, range, tone, feel. I just feel my mouth is not connected to my brain. As a beginner should i just take a day or couple of days rest and come back to it or keep on trying?
    thanks from frustrated of basingstoke

2. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    while i am here. How do you add your instruments or quotes to the bottom of your posts. See its not just the trumpet that challenges me its the technology too!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I would suggest you are beating yourself up mechanically(MP Pressure and poor breathing technique).
    Take a break for a day or two. Sometimes the body needs to reset itself. Read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment and Circle of Breath. Trumpet playing is a very hard instrument to play let alone play well. You need to make sure you are playing it correctly. Spend the money and take a couple of lessons off a college trumpet teacher to get you headed in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Click on Home, Private Messages, Edit your Details and scroll down to you see an area where you can put your signature.

If you are playing a lot, I would take a day off every couple of days to give the chops a chance to recover. I'm a comeback player for a little over a year and still am not close to where I was 30 years ago. It doesn't happen over night. Guess the "I used to be able to..." is a good motivator.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Most definitely take a day off. After that, take it easy for the next day or two, being careful not to overdo it, as you slowly get back into your regular routine.

6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Thanks guys. my teacher comes back in a couple of weeks so will go back the the early scale stuff tomorrow and see how it goes at that.
    Played with a band on wednesday that involved a very limited range of notes c,d,f and g played over and over. Its a drum group with limited brass section. it was great fun but pushed me over the edge, 2 hours is just too much!!

another question, where can i find the mouthpiece pressure assessment and circle of breath?

thanks again

7. Stephen

Stephen New Friend

Feb 25, 2010
    I feel the same way as you do, sometimes after a practice which I do for at least 1/2 to 3/4 hr a day, or go to band practice.. at times I feel I can't get a note out of the instrument ! so I just put it down for a day or so and all tends to be fine ...

Stephen

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that you need a day off. As a beginner, you just need more time on the horn. The road between your ears and brain are VERY rough for the first couple of playing years. Looking for reasons to take a couple of days off will NOT make you play better. If you are playing until you drop, I suggest a couple of "shorter" practice sessions per day.

9. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Sort of agree with Rowuk but a break from blowing, most importantly, clears the mind....sort of therapeutic in a way.

Got back from a Beijing trip on Sunday.

10 days of no trumpet with feelings of guilt because I hadn't considered taking my MP.

Played scales in my head while drumming my fingers on my chest while falling to sleep in the hotel room was as good as it was going to get.

Yesterday after the Germany/England match played better than ever !!

Cheers

Paul.

10. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    Hi Oldgit,

If you are an actual "Old git" so am I. I'm 59 years old and I'm in to my 5th year playing.
    I tend to have the same issue, particularly during the winter when I tend to have longer practice sessions. During the summer golf eats up much more of my spare time.
    I rarely miss a days practice, however when I have over done it, I try to play softer and stay well within my usable range.