Lost nearly an octave of range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    Really can't explain it. Had a semi-consistent High C two weeks ago, and now I cant tongue a D in the staff without airy crapness. I have given myself rest, I have done lip slurs, I have intelligently practiced for hours on end.

I am just off. My lips are just off. This has happened before, but never to the extent where anything above the staff is absolutely unattainable. I have Honors Band material to study, and all I have been doing the past weeks is strained lip slurs up to E in the Staff. My tone is great where I feel comfortable, but my range limits me to books instructors assign their students the first year they begin playing.

Any advice would be helpful.

Merry Christmas!

Edit: My endurance is absolutely garbage. I can play the first two and a half studies of the Arban's First Studies before I falter.
    I will work on my getting my trumpet playing up to speed, but is there anything I can do to improve my trumpet playing without actually playing it. I am sight-singing when I cannot play any more.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    you have a private teacher? Theres about a thousand things that could go wrong, without watching you play its just a shot in the dark though.

3. Hornlife98

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    A week ago I didn't have to think about any of this. It just came out of my horn. Oh well. Here's a short video. If it is unhelpful, or you would like another video showing another aspect of my playing...Fire away...

http://youtu.be/6H_q4z2xX2k

Sorry for the vibrato hehe

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Looks like an air issue to me. IE you aren't moving enough of it. Keep practicing those scales, but put a crescendo ascending and a decrescendo descending. go p to FFF and back and put a fermata on the top note, hold it until you think you have just enough air left to make it back to the bottom of the scale without running out of air. This will force you to practice air control and volume, which with both help your range, scales which help everything, and long tones on higher notes which are great for tone endurance and range.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Air... a tricky substance to be messing around with. I've got the feeling that you concentrate too much on your lip and embouchure and not enough on your breathing, which can result - as I've got a feeling you are doing in this video - that your lip-tongue-finger coordination is out of kilter, while at the same time you have been doing too much and overstrained yor lips (those downward lines at your lip ends tell an interesting story). One way to salvation - not the only one, but a tried and trusted one - would be to radically scale down on your trumpet practice for a few weeks (stop practising as soon as you beign to fel strained, after 15 minutes or so) and get yourself a competent singing teacher with experience in general body air work (best would be someone teaching along Lilli Lehmann [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6DON60e5JI] guidelines and, for general posture and freeness of breathing, following the Alexander Technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isz5XVqFrFU)
    Enjoy!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your playing just takes a dump, there are more serious issues behind what you have been doing. An analysis over the internet is a crap shoot.

Generally players that are trying to "hit" high notes a screw up a whole bunch of stuff. It starts with bad posture and weak breathing, then continues with using pressure to compensate for that. The pressure of the mouthpiece against the chops causes a bunch of other issues. Many times it keeps the lips so far apart and so clamped down that the upper register becomes impossible. In addition pressure often prevents the player from getting rid of the air that they have which in turn screws up WHEN the player breathes which screws up the musical line further complicating the process.

The secret is to replace pressure with smart. That is a building process that takes time - especially for those that have not been paying attention.......

I have written so many times about reducing tension and those that spend time with it often see good results in a short period of time (a couple of months). You can google "Circle of Breath" for my take on it. The ONLY way to get better is to slow down, get an intelligent daily maintenance program and stick to it. If your chops are screwed up, more air does not solve anything until there is a proper way of using it. It is VERY seldom that only a players air is screwed up!

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    there are many players here who are much better then I am and they also teach so take my advice with a grain of salt. Put the horn away for a day without touching it and then start back up with long tones. In my uneducated opinion it sounds like you have probably over practiced or over played your horn and your chops haven't recovered fully. Just an old geezers thoughts.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Your breaths are way too small and way too shallow. The tempo is too fast--try 60 beats per minute, and give yourself time to breathe deeply. Form your embouchure before adding mouthpiece pressure. Spend a week playing very softly and articulating with the lips and not the tongue--a "poo" attack. Your sound is more dull than dark. This can be a sign that the lips are too far apart while playing and will really mess with range. Make sure you are not letting your lower lip slide under the upper lip.

Good luck!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Long tones then long tones then more long tones and play them softly. Relax also.

10. Hornlife98

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    What kind of long tones should I play?