Lost nearly an octave of range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    We'll agree to disagree. You have quoted only half my statement. When I teach kids, which I have done for the past 30 odd years, I do not say I will teach you to buzz. I say 'Let's see if we can get you to make the horn resonate. In my opinion, it changes the focus from begins being an isolated physical activity to being one where it is a step in a number of elements that begins in the soul of a player.
    If outside every delivery room at every hospital, new parents were given a manual on the technical aspects of how to teach a child to speak, we would be struck dumb. Trumpet playing should, in my opinion be a celebration of who we are and a representation of creative thought process. It should also be a natural experience as it is an extension or a foil to express ourselves. I do not think for one minute that Picasso would have been thinking "I wonder what artistic technique I should try to demonstrate today?' when he painted.
    From my experience when a young trumpet player comes to me with a chops problem it stems from a teacher who has overly emphasised or technicalised the buzz concept. I've had kids who have puckered up like Renee Zeilweger on botox because that was what the teacher said you had to do to buzz.
    I love Dizzy and James Morrison but I think both of them should be pixelated out as many young players feel that they have to do facial acrobatics to play the horn. Maybe the Kiss Principle is what endeared me to trumpet.
    No biggie really. I know my approach is a little different.
    I don't quite understand the statement" I am not just calling your advice piecemeal but snippets from others as well" I appears a thinly veiled patronising insult tbh. Over the years I have worked with and had lessons from some of the finest trumpet players in the world. I have very fond memories of playing duets with Phil Smith when he came to Australia when I was about 20. Of course I am influences by others and have picked up a thing or two. Any guy out there who thinks they invented the whole shebang is kidding themselves. This may very well be a cultural misunderstanding. I humbly apologise if it is but I am finding it hard not to see your statement as some kind of moral higher ground that de values my contribution.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm certainly not trying to patronise you here I just don't get where you are coming from and I don't like "soundbites" of ideas when one is not in the same room as the guy who is having issues. I am aware that my language use and syntax does tend to come across as pompous if I am not careful. I was actually trying to reassure you that I was not taking a personal stand against what you were saying.

I do genuinely worry when someone quotes Greg Spence (and the no buzz notion) out of context because it can seem as though he is trying to reinvent the wheel when taken in such a manner and from what I have seen that isn't what he is saying. I'm still not sure how you can in one post say you don't buzz and then in one later it's of course the lips buzz. I am trying to get to the bottom of what you mean not to throw out what you are saying but it does make what you are saying sound confused and I would like to get to the bones of what you are saying. As TobyLou mentioned we have had many people almost cutting and pasting the no buzz video to wave in the face of us boring traditionalists and it is easy to react a little too strongly to reading "you do not buzz" as a revolutionary thought, I'll say "yet again" but please don't take that as an insult either, it is one of the limitations of the written word and forums in that it is too easy to judge a comment out of context.

I am sorry if you thought I was being insulting such is not my way.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I reach for an instrument, I lick my lips, vibrate them, and then set my embouchure as I place the rim of my mouthpiece to my lips ready to play. Such is now just a habit I don't have to think much about.

Sure, when alone and it is impractical to play an Instrument, I'll use a mouthpiece connected to a David O'Neill BuzzzMaster to partially simulate playing and have come to recognize the "goose squawks" I produce in relation to notes I would play on my trumpet if I could. Still, I realize no one else wants to hear my "goose squawks". Dogs bark or howl and we don't understand these sounds either. Their growl, I've learned is best I be somewhere else and that is as much as I'll say about what others think of my "goose squawks".

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Your issues are exactly what Rowuk described.
    Long tones are great, but Vincent Chicowicz took them to another level. He takes static long tones and moves them up and down giving you an idea of the extremely subtle movement needed to flow your air to each rising note.
    If you can afford one, buy one of these. Chicowicz students are everywhere and at the very top of the trumpet chain. You can start with the long tone studies.
    Studio 259 Productions
    Rich T.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a fact of life for a trumpet player. It will happen. It will come back. The root cause is a change that was made in your practice/playing technique leading up to this event. The only way to avoid this is to have a workout routine that is a killer that you go through everyday. I have avoided this phenomenon now for over a decade after initiating a daily killer workout routine. So my lips are now ready for anything, any day. The trumpet is a demanding mistress. You must learn how to meet her demands to be consistent with her day in and day out.

7. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    So far throughout my current session, I have been playing a little bit better. The G on top of the staff is coming along pretty easily, but my overall playing is nowhere near is was a few weeks ago. Expect a video soon.

8. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Dude, you really need to get a teacher. This is a great forum with seriously good and gifted players and teachers, however it is no substitute for one on one brother. Your return on investment will be well worth it.

9. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Agreed!

I'd practice pp breath attacks on long tones G to C in the staff.

Time off probably won't hurt.

I reckon there's a psychological element. Endeavour to believe you can get back and better than you were. Trust me, people have had worse. I had my top lip split half way to my nose which was stitched back together. It happened when I was young, but it put a stop to my playing for a good while. I'm currently making a living on my playing amongst other things.

Good luck... Mike

10. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    I do. I am looking for other opinions. My teacher emphasizes the whistle formation, but I have had no success with playing with my tongue in different positions. My tongue is constantly flat, and I change my aperture to go higher, primarily.