Lost nearly an octave of range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Can you flutter tongue? If so, try a chromatic scale, flutter-tongued to as high as you can. How high can you play with the flutter tongue?

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I wonder what point you are making here VB (not arguing just wondering)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh VB, believe you me, he is arguing. This is a man from Yorkshire. You know he's in it for the argument, over a pint none the less!

4. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Suffice it to say there is a madness to my method....

5. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Or is madness your method?

6. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
  7. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
  8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Does your lower lip hide behind your upper lip when playing? What I don't hear is "sound floating on air." What I do hear is a lot of muscling. Google "vulgano ray of power" and "vulgano magic bubbles" for my take.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success is measured in months and years, not days and weeks.

I hear impatience, inadequate breathing and need to work on A major. For the next couple of months, add a break between each scale - as long as the scale took, rest. Play the scales more slowly and don't post about it for at least 3 weeks. Add lipslurs -always resting in between.

We can't fix your playing without a live lesson (even then there would be "circumstances"), so let's try and minimize the destructive impatience....

Oh yeah, just because you cracked a note on a scale, you don't have tho rip the horn from your face and look ticked off. Keep playing. If you need to edit the video to prove a point, there is software for that.

To me it looks like simple too much pressure and your chops give out because you have a vicegrip approach. That is a function of previously described missing basics.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    To me it looks as though you have either been encouraged, pushed or decided on your own to push you range before you were ready for it. Have gone about it the wrong way with pressure and tension look at how your face is contorting that for me is a sign of this. (And most of us have been there) I suspect for a time this has worked then one note too far with to much pressure/tension and your chops have said ok boy that's enough. Then the vicious circle of lack of confidence, lack of success and almost depression set in. Your demeanour is a huge give away. You are now not even confident on some low notes and more and more tension is creeping in. Yes your chops have crashed but this is a symptom of something that has been building up over a few weeks, months or perhaps years and it may take at least as long to put it right, it might not take so long to get on the right track but you have to be patient.

You don't I think mention having a tutor that I can see, are you self taught?

I'd like to see long slow breaths in smooth transition to exhale, quiet long tones with a breath attack (Look at Rowuk's Circle of breath)

You are young don't be in a hurry, get these basics right now.

Hope that helps