lost the lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Dec 29, 2011.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    A number of things have happened in the last couple of weeks that have lead, i think to a loss of trumpet lips.

1, started playing saxophone!!!
    2, two colds in a row with the dreaded cold sores.

Felt better 3 days ago and for the first time in 4 weeks no sore lips so picked up the trumpet and nothing!! No C below the line a weak G and squeaky C. put it down laughed did some horse lips drank a cup of coffee and tried again, oops no better.

tried every day since and still no good, whilst i am not unduly worried ( i am worried but a sense of pride stops me admitting it ) and think it will all come back with rest and long tones. Any speed up advice would be appreciated also a bit of moral support would be handy!

Is this it or have i been cursed for turning away from the trumpet and picking up the dreaded saxophone, ( how much easier is the sax than the trumpet!! )

Thanks in anticipation.

2. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Oldgit.... I don't know about the "oldgit" business when you are only in your mid 50s; I quit playing about the time you were born and didn't pick a horn up for 51 (52??) years at age 73. Now age 76 and fairly successful after a <3 year comeback, playing with a good community concert band; 3 octave range. Sorry I can't advise you re: sax or cold sores, but can tell you that (IMHO) your "... it will all come back with rest and long tones" is a good Rx for recovery. For me, the return after a forced layoff (on several occasions) was expedited by rest, long soft tones and easy practices (15 min within my range) 3-4 times a day until chops returned, usually 1-2 weeks. On a few occasions my performance was better after recovery than before the problem came up. Hang in there -- if you follow your own prescription I suspect you will look back in a few weeks and think "it wasn't all that bad." Good luck.... JA

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm a euphonium player who, after over a decade of very aggressive playing became someone who only played for rare bursts every several years over the next two. 20 months ago I began playing trumpet in order to prevent a cherished local Memorial Day tradition from vanishing. Obviously, I had to work pretty hard at that. 4 weeks ago, I returned to my euphonium to prepare tp play on Christmas Eve. By the end of the service, my tone was distorting from the weakness in the muscles unused for the last 20 months fighting those in the middle that had trained hard. My tone on Trumpet Christmas moring, after not touching it for the 4 weeks getting my euphonium chops back, was likewise rough, as was intonation and interval control. Changing from one imstrument to another works the facial muscles differently, and you have to expect it to be disruptive. I would imagine that if you worked both hard daily, you could get to a point where you can interchange, but it will take hard work to not just train two sets of muscles, but train the brain how to use each in each specific circumstance.

As said above, give it a couple of weeks and you'll be back. (Or, give it many months of really hard work and you will be able to do both.)

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OLDGIT --- hang in there buddy. This summer I got sunburn lips for a few weeks, my tone and range went in the crapper (lips not flexible) ---then shortly thereafter -- those cold sores and chronic sore lips (medical term Angular Chelitis) ---all in all -- about 6 weeks of NOT ANY GOOD PRACTICES ---then 2 WKS of poor practices -- then 4 weeks to get back to a good tone and reasonalbe recovery. ALL IN ALL -- JULY, Sept, Oct -- basically sucked. NOW NOV, and DEC are better -----------------back to nearly 80% on range and endurance --- tone is good, consistency is about 90% -----maybe NEXT month back to FULL SPEED AHEAD ((((((((((((((((2 bad months = 3-4 months to RECOVER)))))))))))))))))))) I'm nearly 47 -----------HOPE THAT HELPS ----------hang in there, soft, long tones, plenty of rest ----------------------and TRY NOT TO FRUSTRATE YOURSELF -----------you will get it back --- IN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!
    that is the best MORAL support I can give you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    yep it seems your are all right got a stable g today and did 10 mins easy c to c soft and low, stopped before i needed to and feel ok, not sure about keeping the 2 instruments going tho. its just I'm going to have a bit more time and the idea of trumpet and tenor sax sounded good so i would not be tempted to overdo the trumpet, might have to go for plan B and use this daughters keyboard!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whoosh! Now at 75, after overcoming major health issue in 2010 and major dental issue in 2011, I'm now back at cornet, trumpet and euphonium about equally, having completed a euphonium solo performance of "Silent Night" Christmas Eve.
    I'll begin feathering in my picc and mello into my practices next week. Can't say it is easy, put patience, perseverance and practice always wins out.

7. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    My advice for which you are apying nothing and may have no more value to you than that is:
    Since you are are almost starting over, and now talking about 3 different instruments with 3 different physical demands, why not start with the one you "Love".
    The sound of which you hear in your head and want to hear being presented to the public.
    If it is the trumpet or the sax or the keyboard, then go for that one. Get to where yu are enjoyin git again. You can always add the other later.
    This is based on my own experience. My mother taught piano and could not teach me. I hear folks say the trumpet is so hard. I picked one up and started to play because it seemed so easy to me. In looking back my tone was AWFUL but I ENJOYED playing and still do to this day.
    Since I find it such a match to me, the hours and hours devoted to improving is not work but enjoyment as I listen to the horn "sing"

8. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    My apology folks. the word below is supposed to be "Paying" not apying
    My advice for which you are apying nothing

I am obviosly a bit dyslectic
    Sorry

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Pat, too while my Mother played piano IMO with concert quality and tutored others, too she didn't teach me much about it as I simply didn't have much interest in it. I'll attribute much to the fact that both my older brothers were then playing brass, one an Eb mello and the other a baritone. The brother with the mello was already in the band. Thus with $35.00 earned selling newspapers, I bought a pre-owned stencil trumpet from a neighbor and the rest is history, albeit I subsequently learned to play about all the brass instruments. It was during my lapse of playing (then without an instrument) that I learned to play the reeds sufficient to tutor my daughter and now and again will play a pre-owned one I'm about to purchase and have rehabbed, having my own clarinet and sax mouthpieces ... bought and sold 3 clarinets, 2 alto saxes, 1 tenor sax, and 1 flute in 2011, for a profit of just $725.00, but $1,150 in brass instruments. To my knowledge all went to beginning children whose parents could not afford to purchase or lease/option new instruments.

Anyway, I've now have a Yamaha 66 keyboard that I use for composing study.

PS Many make typos as doesn't mean they are dyslectic.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's OK - we paid you NOTHING for your correcting yourself ROFL ROFL ROFL -- and you are apying (paying) nothing for this humorous interlude -- ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- at least you didn't suggest OLDGIT play the drums, after all he still wants to be a musician!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL