Loud Mute for Pines!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by eisprl, Dec 20, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Well it is time for me as a trumpet player to join the ranks of those who have played the rediculous trumpet licks of Respigi.

I am playing in a Pines of Rome Concert with the local Orchestra (Symphony Nova Scotia with Richard Simoneau and Curtis Deitz for anyone who knows them).

Just wondering what kind of mute best suites your guys' loud factor.

Cheers
    Eric

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I like the Marcus Bonna mute...the all aluminum one. This is one loud mother!!

Louie

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    tom crown with the copper bottom

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sit up straight. Use a Jo-Ral copper bottom straight mute. Don't blow those good notes into the stand! Blow a hole in the balcony in front of you :cool:
    Wilmer

5. hunsicker

hunsicker New Friend

Oct 4, 2004
    Reno, NV
    Trumcor metal straight mute, with copper bottom.

6. HHansontrpt

HHansontrpt New Friend

Nov 1, 2005
    The Yamaha straight mute with a copper bottom is my loud mute of choice. It is relatively easy to cut through the orchestra, and it can take on a lot of different qualities according to your mental concept of the sound you want.

7. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    I like the Trumcor as well but I prefer the regular bottom to the copper bottom. It's the best straight mute I've ever played, in addition to being loud.

adam

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    all of the suggestions are good ones, but what matters the most is what works for you. Go to the music store and try the mutes out, pick the one that works the best for you. All we can do is give suggestions of what worked for us.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Count me as a TrumCor guy, as well. I like the sound and the intonation is terrific. With the larger bell horns, intonation can be a hassle. That's why I am always foraging for mutes when I go on tour. I think they do a great jo over there.

ML

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Manny,

any specific bottom on that one? I see there is a copper bottom one.

Eric