Loud playing sound same?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Aug 2, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    The more I hear different marching band or any really loud trumpet parts, the more I keep thinking they all sound really similar. (Not blasting) Just what I'm noticing but I don't know what you think. Maybe I'm just hearing the marching band trumpet sound but haven't identified the differences in them yet, or am I right?

Another reason to practice quiet?

2. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    Most marching bands are comprised of high school kids just learning "their" sound. It's little wonder it still sounds generic, especially at volumes they may not can handle.

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Not for them. More advanced. It's just at a certain volume it seems pretty much like the same loud sound of a trumpet with not much variation. I don't know. I'm probably just being ignorant again. I guess I really haven't heard much at the higher level too though.

...yeah forget I posted this. I'm being stupid.

4. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    No, you were right, you just didn't know why. Any experience you learn from is a good one.. There is no bad knowledge, just bad application.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Don't worry, I kind of understand. It seems like most "good" high school players do sound the same, though I don't remember hearing very many, so maybe it was a coincidence.

However, my college marching had three trumpet soloists in one of our songs. Each of them sounded noticeably different. Also, what was interesting is that the trumpet that I thought sounded the second best, of the three, close up sounded the worst out when out at a distance. His sound seemed to spread. They all sounded quite a bit different, though.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let's get real. A stadium with lots of ambient noise is not a venue for determining sound qualities.

In the military tatoos that I performed in years ago in Europe, you would have to be deaf not to be able to tell the difference between the bands. The goal was never volume. It was art - in the choreography and playing. No juvenile screaming, just solid section playing.

Maybe the problem is the band leaders that push the volume of the ensembles that you listen to - just shy of crap?

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    In Australia, our kids predominantly learn to play through Concert Band, Wind Ensemble or Orchestral settings where there is more of an emphasis on musicality and not range and volume. I personally think the Marching Band thing can be detrimental. Marching while playing can lead excessive pressure. From my observations, there is an element of 'louder and higher' in the Marching Band psychy.
    Due to television Marching Band is sneaking into our culture and I don't think it is a good thing.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kayin sez:
    There is no bad knowledge
    --------
    Trust me, in time, there will be things you'll wish you were never exposed to.
    Yep, there's such a thing as bad knowledge and everyone has or will be exposed to it.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Don't agree. Loss of cultural identity is a bad thing. To understand one's self you must understand who you are. Marching band is just not us (in my opinion)

10. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    Before you know it they're going to be wearing blue jeans, listening to Elvis and shimmying their hips!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! But I agree with you about learning to play in settings where the emphasis is on musicality. Also, it is true with any music - the more players you have playing loudly, it is just inherent that each group will sound more same, since individuality and differences cannot stand-out from the mass when the potential for difference at a greater volume is minimized. I see it in choir all of the time - when we sing loud, the quality and "non-quality" voices are less distinguishable. Of course, the poorer the acoustic design this effect is enhanced by a blurring to our ears. This is why I can convince myself that I could be a diva...when I sing in the shower, ONLY!