Louis Dowdswell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by N1684T, Nov 17, 2018.

1. jimc

jimc Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    He's doing very well, but he's not there yet. Looks like he has plenty of time to get there, though.

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Well...I'm gonna pour on a bit more water to the fire (sorry!)

I think he's a killer player, regardless of age. He's not Maynard, however. At this age Maynard was a "straight-ahead" jazz musician and perhaps one of the best trumpeters of the pre-1950s era already. Maynard was simply an anomaly. Mr. Herseth himself called him "the greatest trumpet player ever."

Speaking of pre-1950s...those were different days. A kid could get a full-time gig playing trumpet. Heck, before "talkies," movies would have brass quintets playing inside the theater as a soundtrack. How cool is that?! When Woody Herman and Arturo Toscanini were household names, players like Harry Glantz and Maynard Ferguson were also legitimate household names, and sounds. Louis Dowdswell has the unfortunate reality of the modern world where, like it or not, nobody cares for screeching high covers of 1980s Sylvester Stallone flicks. Or anything else with trumpet, mind you. I heard from a very good source that it is hard to make a living in the L.A. Studios these days, thanks to the "Hans Zimmer" effect. When all your music is "BAH!!!!!" (think Inception), you don't need the best musicians to record your soundtrack, so a lot of work gets exported to Romania where labor is cheaper. So, where can a player like Dowdswell get a job? It's tough. Opportunities are limited. Military gigs are not the "fallback" they once were. And don't get me started on "teaching."

I used to think that if I was just so great, that I could get the world to listen to me. But, I think that most people just don't care. So, he could genuinely be as good as Maynard but will not likely have the opportunities that Maynard had. We kind of need to face the reality that professional music (I'm excluding the world of pop) is a dying career. My grandfathers would have never tolerated crass filth like Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears, let alone choose it above Buddy Holly or Glen Miller, yet here we are. Interestingly, another interest of mine (cycling) is also considered a "dying career." Guess we'd rather watch tweens play Fortnite then Marco Pantani kill the Alpe D'uez. Whatever...there will always be room for new talent in jazz/commercial/studio music, but I wonder if the lack of professional opportunities may hinder musical growth for some. There's a good subject for debate.

And then there is the issue with trajectory. The Johnny Manziel effect is real. For those of you with no idea what I'm referring to, this is the story. There was a young American Football player a few years back named Johnny Manziel. He was considered one of the best high school and early-college football players ever, just some kind of football "god," which makes sense because football is basically a religion here in this country. The extents of his talent were so pronounced that they dubbed him "Johnny Football" and he was predicted to become a veritable Messiah. I believe he announced his eligibility for the NFL draft after only two years in college (I may be wrong but it's late at night so I'm not doing my research). Naturally, being the lamb without blemish, the firstborn son of football, ya-de-ya-de-ya, he was chosen as the new star quarterback of......wait for it......the Cleveland Browns. All good careers go to canker and die in the Cleveland Browns. Turns out, rather than being their savior, he just proved himself to be immature, childish and a downright embarrassment for the team. He got sacked after a couple of seasons. So, my point in saying all of this is that sometimes even the best talents taper off quickly.

So, I guess we will see. He's a killer player now, heck, he might be the next Maynard or Bill Chase or Rick Baptist. But, in a world that doesn't need or want another Maynard, Bill Chase or Rick Baptist, it will be interesting to see how his progression follows.

And, can I just say how overdone Rocky covers have become. I mean, even for Maynard it was kind of a "sell-out" thing, right? Maybe I just feel a twinge of nausea because of all the times Kurt Thompson has tried to prove himself heir to the throne of Maynard-dom with this piece.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 3:15 AM
  3. Tom Pennell

Tom Pennell Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not going to question anything here, other than say that most comparisons are odious. About as helpful as the old bar room debate on who was the best Grand Prix driver... Fangio, Clarke, Stewart, Senna or who ever.
    I will just go and listen, again, to his version of The Christmas Song and perhaps Sing,Sing Sing. Follow it up with Wayne B's O Holy Night.
    Regards,Tom

Kujo20 and GeorgeB like this.
  4. redintheface

redintheface Piano User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    I agree with this. Synthesizers can emulate the trumpet fairly well, and are used in much commercial music such as jingles, because it is just far cheaper to program a computer than to do multiple takes with a real person. And added to that, the trumpet isn't really in vogue. Auto-tune is in vogue, and bland lyrics, from bland people, "sung" (or more probably "uttered") in a bland way.

To illustrate my point, I was watching a couple of Freddie Mercury and Queen songs from the 1970s just a month ago, and the Youtube ad that accompanied them was for Dr. Dre "beats" headphones, as promoted by an apparently upcoming star called Halsey. Never heard of her until that moment. I'll link to the ad below. I was horrified.

[Interviewer]: "Was this the hardest song you've ever recorded?"
    [Halsey]: *pause* "OMG.......yah"
    *shows Halsey having trouble remembering a lyric*
    *shows Halsey singing in auto-tune*

Then after the ad had finished, on comes some truly terrific 70s rock, with melodies, harmonies, a range of emotions that are impossible to replicate, that took me on a journey. There is no comparison.

Auto-bland is in vogue, not trumpets, and not even 70s rock.

J. Jericho likes this.
  5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    While I share a lot of LaTrompeta's comments, I hope the comment, " . . you don't need the best musicians to record your soundtrack . . " is not literal, because it takes a lot of high-level chops to produce a soundtrack with all the electronic synthesizers.

J. Jericho likes this.
  6. redintheface

redintheface Piano User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    The quote starts: "When all your music is "BAH!!!!!" (think Inception)....."

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are what we repeatedly do. Let's watch carefully and come back in 5 years to talk about this currently exceptional player.