Louis Maggio System for Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 14, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    What do you think about that method?

Does it work?

It emphasises the use of tongue too much IMO

and whats that AH in the throat" all about??

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    It emphasizes relaxing the tongue; the pedals don't speak well if the tongue is all over. His eeee setting is not dissimilar to Gordon and others. Works for some, not for others. Take what works from every method and make it yours. As a method, yes, it works for air control, range development, flexibility to some degree. Maggio was Claude Gordon's teacher for some time.

Ed

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think any embouchure method needs a REAL teacher to make sure that you get it right. Even then, you don't know if the teacher got lucky or the method REALLY is a solution for you.
    A little knowledge is often dangerous.

As far as tongue position goes, I have very successful colleagues with all sides of that aspect. I do not think that we can judge the universal suitability. It works really well for some, and has trashed others.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree with the "works well for some and not for others" point of view about most aspects of trumpet playing. Scratch that -- about *all* aspects of trumpet playing. And I tell my students that for anything I tell them they shouldn't do they'll find someone playing a trumpet professionally making more money at it than I do who are doing exactly what I'm telling my students not to do. *But* the professionals have evolved their own personal playing habits and everybody needs to start somewhere so I tell my students that I'm telling them to do things which will work well for them and as they develop more as trumpet players all that may change and evolve.

A little knowledge, indeed, often is dangerous -- however, when combined with a clear-thinking brain which is willing to try things and able to filter out what isn't helping, it often is better than no knowledge at all. And many people can't afford music lessons or can't find a teacher near them who can help them.

With all the self-taught professionals who are monster players, I find that it's more the ability to think, try, examine the results honestly, move on to other things if needed, which spell success, not the amount of actual trumpet-playing knowledge, which is important.