Louis Maggio System Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KennyC, Feb 2, 2009.

1. KennyC

KennyC New Friend

Oct 8, 2008
    This is a question posed to those that play via the Louis Maggio System for Brass.

I have the book by Carlton MacBeth. I have been trying to implement it just as described in the book. I make the setup – as in the Whistle Technique – with the lower lip up and behind the upper lip. However, when I play this way I can start out on a low C just fine, but as I ascend and go to a G in the staff, the lower lip begins sliding out and moves forward and does not retain the original position as described in the book. Is this supposed to happen? I can continue playing and ascending, right now up to a G above high C, and the sound is very brilliant, but I just do not know if this is the way it is suppose to work or should the bottom lip stay put as in the original set up? Also, if it is suppose to stay put, how does one achieve this? I am pulling the corners of the mouth in to the eye teeth as described.

Thanks!

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    As others,especially Rowuk, would say do-it-yourself embouchure changing which sounds like what you are doing is a path to disaster. Get a teacher before you really screw yourself up

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with the previous poster, if you think you need an embouchure change go and find a competent private teacher to work with. Doing a major change without some competent help is a road to disaster.

4. KennyC

KennyC New Friend

Oct 8, 2008
    Guys I already play, have for 32 years. I just experimenting with Maggio and have a question about it specifically.

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Every system is not universally applicable. It sounds as if you are not a "downstream" type and the Maggio, as I understand works for downstream. I could be totally off base but again, if you insist on going on with this get competent help.

6. KennyC

KennyC New Friend

Oct 8, 2008
    Jerry, you are correct in that Maggio is downstream - as you blow the air column downward toward the chin. As to getting competent help, in the area of the country I live in there are few players and Maggio is a system that is unheard of, much less practiced. I posted my question here to see if any player using the Maggio system could answer my question. I was under the assumption that the purpose of this board was to share information and ask questions of others that are in the know. Perhaps I was wrong in that assumption, so I will reframe from asking any more questions.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I have done and still do Maggio , I use a different embouchure setting than what is described in his book , I roll my bottom back over my bottom teeth , which causes the top lip to pucker as I play higher, I find that Maggio also works well with this set up.

8. KennyC

KennyC New Friend

Oct 8, 2008
    Thank you for your reply Al. Actually I have already tried that approach as another benefit is it allows for the horn to be held more parallel to the ground instead of angled down. A gentleman from Virginia Beach that was friends with Carlton MacBeth and has used Maggio for many years sent me some invaluable information that clarified a lot. In particular the setting of the embouchure, he suggested blowing the syllable Pu without the mouthpiece and this would put your lips in proper alignment.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Check out Runes Trumpet Thoughts web site, he shows illustrations of the different embouchures taught and used by the authors and players of a lot of systems and methods including Maggio, click on embouchure.

10. znspr8502

znspr8502 New Friend

Jul 23, 2009
    Dallas
    I had never heard of the Maggio System until last year. I did not like my son's embouchure. I saw it limiting him. When I tried to correct him, he became frustrated saying that his teacher told him to do it that way. I was fortunate to put him in a summer trumpet camp and I really like that instructor. So, when school started and they mentioned that private instructors were available, I found out that he was one that I could use, despite not being on their primary list due to his schedule and availability. Since we had joined his summer camp, he made room for him. Well, guess what, he is a definitely a believer in the Maggio System. It seemed really weird to me initially, but the concept seemed realistic.

The system paid dividends for my son. His quality has improved. His lower register advanced extremely quickly. I still can't hit some of those peddle tones that he hits with ease.

My son has had a slight challenge with his upper range growing as quick, though it has improved gradually. But, that is due to bad habits he had formed with bad technique his first year, adjusting the horn and the air flow as he went higher with his soldiers and neck tightening up. The Maggio System is teaching him to maintain the same technique no matter the register along with remaining as relax high as he is low. Muscle memory, as with most physical actions, is tough to retrain. But, correct repetition corrects it over time.

Having an instructor who has mastered the Maggio System is something that you should research. My son's private instructor use to chat with Mr. Maggio throughout the year. It is my understanding that he became sickly and communications stops. He believes he has passed, but isn't sure since the son/family has not replied to him. He mentioned how Mr. Maggio wouldn't mass sell his books. They were issued to those who took lessons with him. In other words, he wanted to make sure it was taught properly. Profit was never his intent. After some years, he would sell them to students that he felt were competent to teach it. Thus, my son's instructor was able to order a handful or so at a time to use to teach others and sell to those who caught the Maggio fever.

So, it may be tough to find a trained Maggio Instructor, but I believe it is worth the effort. It will take a lot of practice, because your muscles will revert to old habits when they reach areas to which they have not become comfortable. But, his exercising help retrain you to not adjust as you go from low to high to mid-registers.

Until you find a Maggio Instructor, keep practicing the system and do so in a mirror so you can immediately see when you are starting to alter the technique.

Best wishes...