Louis Maggio System?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Sep 18, 2004.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Is anyone familiar with this system?

I am originally from Cuba and when I speak to players from that country they all mention the Arban and the Maggio System. They certainly have alot of excellent, powerhouse trumpet players in that country. They also tend to associate Arturo Sandoval with the Maggio system.

Is this system similar to Claude Gordons system? Has anyone used his book? Why don't we he more about this system on the trumpet sites?

2. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    The Maggio method is a great method to use.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Can you elaborate and tell us what you know about this system?

4. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Sorry, When I typed that, I was running out the door at the same time, and I just now got back to the computer.

The Maggio system is great for developing your sound in the High Register, middle register, and the low register. It teaches you how to breathe correctly, the correct ebouchure. It also has one of the best warm-up routines I have ever used. I started using it in HS when I barely had a High C. I got up to an E-flat within 2 days of using this method. Unfortunatly, It is very hard to find, because it is out of print.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    :lol: sorry to be such an @$$, but that still doesnt tell me much.

you could say that about almost any system.

can you tell me even more ? :wink:

6. ScreaminRaider

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    It's kinda hard to explain the whole system. I still haven't figured out some of it.

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    It takes basically a "rolled out" embouchure and uses tons of arpeggios slurs starting in the pedal register and moving up into the middle registers and finally into the stratisphere.

I've got the book, but didn't really work with it enough to give it a fair chance. Methods with similarities include; Balanced Embouchure, Schlossburg, Caruso and several others, I suspect (those are just the ones I have).

It's pretty well written, but not up to the standard of BE. I think that the combination of writing, pictures and CD examples makes BE the leader of the pack for me, but you can't go too far wrong with any of these.

Dave

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, I think Claude Gordon was a student of Maggio, hence the similarities.

I completed the Maggio method some 25 years ago in high school. It helped my range, for sure. Since taking up serious playing again 3 years ago I bought and used the BE book/CD also. Like Dave I also prefer the BE for its user 'friendliness'. I think that the logic behind the BE makes a lot of sense and I have better range and tone now than ever.

I think using the rolled in approach works better than the rolled out / pucker setting that most players use. I think it was not the Maggio method, per se, that helped me back then, but the fact that it was comprised of lots of lip slurs.

The BE corrected some of my problems and I improved my range and tone much faster than with Maggio.

My 2c

Greg.

9. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Some players do much better with a pucker than a rolled in embouchure.

It depends on how much corner tension, mouthpiece pressure and compression you use.

People who play more open aperture settings normally fall into 2 main groups; those who use a great deal of facial tension and those who use a lot of mouthpiece pressure.

Tension makes it almost impossible to use a rolled in setting well. Some players simply can't learn to relax enough to get a good sound. So for those people either a buzzing embouchure or the pucker makes more sense.

But those who don't use tension but use pressure can switch to a rolled in setting faster and with fewer problems.

Many people confuse the issue because they think and act like we are all starting at the same place and with the same physical makeup, same kind and amount of muscle memory.....

A lot of things that are said are true of some players but not all.

The "universal" truths are more universal with complete beginners than with people who have 2+ years of playing (including comeback players).

Things that work amazingly easy for people who NEVER played can be impossible for people who played and worked for years building opposite habits and muscles that are counterproduction to embouchures that make a lot of compression.

This why one person will swear by xyz embouchure system and another will swear at it. And neither can see or believe what the other means.

This is why forum discussions are so varied.
    Some answers are from people who never taught and so their total experience with embouchure changes is limited to 1.
    (It may be a good experience or it may be a bad one but they don't really know why.)
    A teacher who has done countless embouchure changes can see the pros and cons.

The question was is the abc embouchure good.

I know some people who are amazing with it. I know some who were very unhappy. So it is like every other embouchure.

The norm is that all embouchure changes are messy. You can't count on YOURS being the easy one. (I write this because I often get emails like this.)
    I have a college tryout in 2 weeks and I need 5 more notes of range. What embouchure should I switch to.

They really think that in 2 weeks with the right choice they are going to be ready.

Miyot likes this.
  10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Lots of good stuff there Pops. I don't see where anyone good disagree with a single thing you've said.

Dave