Louis Maggio System?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Pops doesn't post much, but MAN, when he does.. :D

I am currently learning the rolled in, 50/50 (Actually, my instructor wants placement more above the lips, but I find the 50/50 works A LOT better) playing. My low range is godawful (I can pedal, but the low Ab-Gb hardly ever works...), and my limit range-wise is a Eb past tune C, but I already notice an improvement in sound (When I used the corner embochure, my sound was kind of whiny, and really didn't make a great, fat sound), and I don't shoot chops near as fast (Although after an hour and a half of buzzing/playing, I start swelling...).

Its aggravating, going from being a half-way decent college-level player to being basically on the same level as a new player again. Its also going to take a hell of a lot of work building muscle in the part of the lips I am using now, but its not like I have nothing better to do, right? :D

Van

2. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    I'm sorry to be so "noobish", but is there actually an xyz/abc embouchure, or were you just using that as an example?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is an example.

I think we get this type of question a couple of times a month. The problem is that embouchure is NOT DIY. Any stab in the dark (and believe me 90% of all trumpet players just stab in the dark when it comes to embouchure!) has less than 50% chance of success.

Any poster that says that a particular embouchure is the answer without having seen and heard you play is stabbing in the dark. My advice is not to waste your time on things that probably won't work. Practice the things that do work (long tones, slurs, bends and above all MUSIC) and get PROFESSIONAL help for the tough stuff. I believe a couple of hours with Pops McLaughlin or Jeanne Pocius (you will find posts from both of them here) will do more for your playing than YEARS of guesstimates. There are also many other good chop teachers. If you are serious, post your general area and ask for success stories!

4. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Rowuk very well said

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I think the Maggio method is better known and taught in California. I use it but had to buy the book and ask a lot of questions that teachers didn't want to answer. Not in the Midwest. I had a brief lesson in Seattle.

Wayne Bergeron uses it. Wayne gave a lecture on his history at ITG and mentioned using the Maggio method to solve his chops problems.

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Does anyone know how I could get myself a copy of this method? It's out of print and very hard to find! Anyone got a PDF?

7. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Here is a link the the Jamey Aebersold site where you can buy this method again!!

The Original Louis Maggio System For Brass: Jazzbooks.com=

It is how I was taught and whenever things go haywire I always return to the Maggio routine. In general many ideas are similar to Stamp, retain the pedal embouchure for the entire range of the instrument. Use air and tongue level syllables for th edifferent registers.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    *resurrects thread*

Thanks Skuni, I sent the guys at Jamey Aebersold an Email, and it's gonna cost me more than the price of the book for shipping to Australia, so I was wondering if anyone knows where else I'm able to purchase this book?

9. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia