Love my new Calicchio

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trptown, Feb 9, 2004.

1. trptown

trptown New Friend

Feb 8, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Terry Townson here. I'm playing a raw 1sZ/3rM that John built about two months ago. I absolutely LOVE it! I've been playing for over thirty years and it's by far the best horn I've ever put to my lips! I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here, but please allow me to elaborate. I played a Benge 3X+ for fifteen years, a Burbank for a while and most recently played a Schilke S42 all on a Reeves custom mpc. I really thought I had found what I was looking for with the Schilke. That was before Dave called and had me stop by the Tulsa shop and try out a few horns! I've not been the same since! John and Dave came to my show that night and let me A&B one of their horns with my Schilke. Well, needless to say, the Schilke didn't get much mic time that night! After the show John and Dave were backstage and John said the he wanted to build a similar horn with a bronze bell and his own valve casing. I had mixed emotions...I was honored on one hand, but disappointed on the other that I HAD to play my Schilke until he could finish building mine.
    Well, I got my new baby December 19th. Many sessions and shows later...I'm happier than ever! I just stopped by the shop this last weekend for a little tweaking on my way to Austin. It's always great hanging out at 'Club Duda'. Dave and John are a lot of fun!
    Larry, thanks for this great forum. I look forward to visiting here often.
    ~Terry

2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Terry

That's great news. I'm in the process of converting one of my 1986 Calicchio's to that combo ( just have to decide on a finish and leadpipe cut ) but I'd like to tell the folks reading this that the M after the 3r ( 3lr ? maybe) # 3 reversed leadpipe, would probably mean "medium bore " . I have a call in to Dave at Calicchio right now, but if you see this and I happen to be wrong about that - please publicly let all us know.
    I might pull the leadpipe and bell off and put it on a med. bore valve section. I wait in line like everyone else for this stuff.( John probably pushes me to the bottom of the list every chance he get's - what are friends for - right " TVR" :D

A friend of mine in Texas just pick up a proto-type ' Dave Trigg Model ( Med bore 3lr / 1s bell - minimal bracing all around, super lite bell ) from the Calicchio shop. John Duda considered it a proto-type just because it had a vintage 1971 D. Calicchio bell on it ( i won't tell you who donated that to the cause ) even thou Dave T.wanted it . ( Dave T. picked his at the IAJE last month ), just as it is - John just copied every aspect of it exactly, but wanted it to be " All Tulsa " if it went out form his shop.

My friend has a whole new lease on his " trumpet life " he told me.He's getting compliments on his playing from total strangers. he said - that never happened before - and his mouthpiece safari has ended also. He never been happier, sold all his other trumpets.

Terry , if you have time, can you tell us about your Reeves custom piece and what it would be close to in Bob's stock stuff. As i said before, for some reason Bob's pieces work well with a Calicchio.

Bore comparisions:

Benge 3x+ - .464 bore

Calicchio Med. bore - .453

Schilke S42 - .450 ( thank you to " theoldmaz' and Marc Melton for the schilke info)

Again Terry, thanks for posting - if your playing in Los Angeles , please let me know where or post here anytime telling us all where we can hear you.

LG - aka -"the ghost"

3. trptown

trptown New Friend

Feb 8, 2004
    Vancouver BC
    Hey Larry,
    Yes, I think the M is for medium. It sure doesn't play like a medium though! I've played big horns all my life (except the schilke) and this horn sounds alot bigger than my large bore Benge.
    My mpc is a little difficult to describe right now. Originally it was a Reeves 692s which I think is more like a 41 or 43 with a #5 sleeve. When I bought the Schilke the Reeves mpc just wasn't working well ( gap problem I think) all that to say...Scott Lasky (with Schilke at the time) copied my Reeves to fit the S42. It worked GREAT, although It wasn't an exact copy, but it was close and I liked it. Well, I completely wore that one out and Schilke built me another one about a year ago based on my original Reeves. That probably doesn't answer your question very well, but that's what I'm playing on now.
    ~Terry

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Terry

I was also on a large bore trumpet cycle in the 80's so I know what you mean. but with age came a little wisdom about volume /sound vs. bore size.

The S series Schilkes trumpets do have a different receiver that a reg schilke but still using a morse taper equation. I think that thye are shorter in length.

I happened to get some pieces for a S42 player by the name of Roger Ingram and had to have all of them sent back to Schilke , my friend Karl Hammond , and he actually soldered on sleeves and re-plated them for me to a standard schilke taper so they would fit the trumpets I usually play.

These were all heavy mass Schilke's and before they set in the Calicchio or Bach receiver, they would hit the long style Schilke blank, and not be able to seat in the receiver.So I understand the S42 mouthpiece / receiver situation very well.

I'd also like to thank Karl Hammond of Schilke for doing a fantastic job and taking care of this for me. Karl is one of my favorite mouthpiece makers and just put out a 3 piece schilke mouthpiece odular system to the public.

Terry , the bore size , as you know , has little to do with a really well balanced, efficient trumpet set-up using the tapered section of the trumpet ( leadpipe and bell - also the tuning slide at times ) to balance the resistance ( between leadpipe and bell ) in a trumpet so you get the maximum, quick response and big sound qualitiesthat all of us want, yet have a trumpet that can take the rigors of the job.

If you blew into 3 straight brass tubes that were .453 , .460 and .468. a couple of feet long , they would probably feel exactly the same. it's the manipulation of the tapers, ( yes , I know, brass thicknesses and metal alloys also play a part ) plus keeping the valve section dimensions to the highest critical dimensions possible that helps determines a trumpets
    over all characteristics.

With trumpet playing getting harder and harder and more demands placed on us all, we are all looking for a efficient a set-up as possible without sacrificing a big, broad sound.

I like using the term efficiency to describe a well -balanced, well constructed and engineered trumpet. this goes for all brands , not just Calicchio's. I know the Eclipse line is unbelievably well crafted and the attention to detail is phenomenal.

As you probably know, Maynard and Cat Anderson played Conn 38b's for a long while in there careers, Cat never changed , and the bore size on that was .438

OH , I forgot to include a young Mic Gillette and Airman of Note lead trumpet and subsequent LA session player Paul Hubinon in that group as well.

Again, thanks for taking your time to inform us.

Lg

PS - A Schilke backbore that works well for me is the # 72 - which is not a standard offer.( It may be now with Karl's new modular system mouthpieces ) This is the backbore Jon Faddis ( among others ) played on when he started using the S42l in 1985. John subsequently changed to a 39L schilke backbore when he went to the heavy mass piece.

What I'm told is the Schilke #72 bb is similar to the Schilke B backbore , but with minor changes