Love my Silent Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Aug 3, 2012.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    GM,
    I feel for you...and for your wife :-))))

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    yamaha silent brass destroyed my neck. I had to pause for 2 months for neck to recover.

better use some straight mute with a hole or wee zee or something as long as it has a proper hole

3. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    FM,

Again you don't really know what you speak about. Your body use "destroyed"your own neck, not SB. I used SB quite a lot for more than an year with no other complaints than the increased resistance when playing and minor intonation problems. Adam Rapa doesn't seem to have any complaints either. Yes, SB is kind of heavy, but then, practice mutes are not convenient for all kind of practice. Practice soft playing with a practice mute (SB or not) is a good idea. Practice Maler Symphonies, Richard Strauss music and Tea Pot music with any practice mute is a bad idea.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    This is cool, I play at church almost every Sunday and it is a very small church so depending on who is sitting in the front row I sometimes get the comment that I am too loud (even though I am playing very soft). I got the idea a couple of years ago to try just what this video shows. I have back-up tracks on my computer and I play that thru the SB7 and then run the whole thing thru the church sound system and that way total volume can be controlled from one place.

Some people thought I was pulling a Millie Vanillie though.

Ray Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Ray,

That sounds like a plan, though I would prefer to reeducate the church people by continuing playing as normal, or change the place you choose for the performance. (backstage?)

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yes, this is really unfortunate, Nick. You were obviously overblowing the mute. I've used SB Systems on both trumpet and French Horn for at least a year, more like a year and a half, and I haven't had any such physical problems as you. I think the trick is to understand that you're blowing into an artificial accoustic condition, and to compensate for that when you use the mute system.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  7. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I actually only use this method when I have certain special music or some solos, I don't do it all the time and I don't take those few comments too seriously, I just keep doing what I do and let the Lord sort it out.

I can only assume that this method could work the other way too if I was to play in an extremely large venue, it would sure make balancing the sound easier.

Ray Z
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    It's a life saver when on the road in motels and back stage before a show!

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    KH,

Read carefully the posts. I had none physical issued with SB, Frankmike did. True, I didn't like much its weight and increased resistance, but that was more up to personal taste than objective review.