low cost Chinese trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jdltrumpet, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jdltrumpet

jdltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2016
    Just to let everyone know, I received a trumpet from Berkeley Wind. The valve/piston construction was not even to an amature level. Poor "hand finishing" poor compression, and valves are sticking even with ample valve oil. Sound from the trumpet was a bit dull and not all notes were in tune. I'm requesting the company to take it back. I'll let you know how that goes. I was looking for an affordable trumpet in the key of C, student quality. This trumpet is not eve student level.

2. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    Bummer. I was vehemently against all Chinese horns until some more knowledgeable members of this site set me straight. There are better horns than Berkeley made in China. P Maurait for one is a fine horn made in Taiwan, and those more knowledgeable will suggest other brands. I think most of us will agree that it's always a crap shoot to look to the far East for consistent quality. The horns look great though, don't they? Good luck on your next purchase.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about your problem. But from what I've heard of this company, it sounds pretty typical for them.

When I was looking for a new C trumpet, I purchased a used Bach Stradivarius, good condition, $750. There are bargains out there.

That being said, if I wanted a new no-name Asian C trumpet, similar to what you purchased, I'd consider the Dillon C trumpet ($395). I've never tried one. And I believe you get what you pay for. But at least it comes with the backing of a very reputable company.

Dillon Music - Dillon C Trumpets

Mike

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. There are some Asian horns worth considering. We all know of the ACB "doubler" flugelhorns. Dillon Music has an entire line of self-branded instruments from piccolo trumpet to tuba. I'm sure there are others.

One recent experience I had, was the purchase of a trombone, an Etude ETB-100. I assume it's made in Asia. It got it on-sale from WWBW for $100. It is what it is. But it's not too bad, even at the regular price of $170. And six months in, it's holding up well.

Lacquer ETB-100 Series Student Trombone - WWBW

Mike

Dennis78 likes this.
  5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    The better lot of the Chinese lot are Jinbao, Thomann(Only pro leve), Dillon-Music & Pro level John Packers.
    Or Taiwanese horns. The King Brand which is now discontinued made some very fine pocket trumpets.

6. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    I own several Berkeley horns...they will take it back, no problem. Of the trumpet, flugel, and cornet...the cornet is the best, and the others gather dust in favor of better horns.

Dennis78 likes this.
  7. jdltrumpet

Nov 24, 2016
    They said they would refund or send another trumpet. What is the likelyhood that a different horn will be any better?

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
  9. jdltrumpet

Nov 24, 2016
    maybe I'll just hang onto it and make the best of it. I have an old student horn i cut down to make it into a C key. I snagged a new Bach bell for it tonight on ebay. It will be fun to compare the two when i get the new bell for my home built C. I found a thread where Rowuk explained tubing length for the different keys so maybe I'll be able to get it close enough to enjoy.

Does anyone have any advice as to getting the Valves in the Berkeley to loosen up? I gave the trumpet a bath. The hand lapping on the "monel" pistons looks pretty darned crude. I figured the Chinese would at least be good about honing and lathing tolerances. Seems with the right tools a company could take the great instruments and reverse engineer them and at least come out the other end with something consistent and student quality.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Chinese companies have complete control of quality. The importer buys the level of horn that they want. That "quality" comes in 5$ increments. You can order 10000 trumpets for $50 each that are crap. For $55 wholesale, you get some nickel silver trim. For $60 we get some white gloves with the horn, for $65 perhaps better slide alignment. This goes on up to about $600 each (wholesale) for a more or less professional level instrument.

It is those ordering the horns that decide how badly to screw the customer.