low cost Chinese trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jdltrumpet, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Chuck Rose

Chuck Rose Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    Perhaps the definition of "Corruption" may be somewhat more fluid in contemporary Chinese culture.

Perhaps, as in Hawaii, Haoles are considered fair game. :dontknow:

2. jdltrumpet

jdltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2016
    As poorly as the pistons were "hand lapped" and "hand fitted" monnels I've decided to return the trumpet to the seller for a full refund and spend a little more money on a different brand. I mean the lapping job is sick. It looks like someone used coarse grain sand paper. After cleaning the horn and applying valve oil, you can't even spin the piston in the cylinder. They are so out of tolerance they aren't concentric. Really poor quality. This should not be that hard to finish the job to at least a student level horn for $300. Anyway. I get my money back and will try again with something else. On another note. I put my Bundy Home build C with the banner bell on it to the tuner and in Bb it comes in pretty tight and tunable, so when my new shorter bell comes in and I get it in key of C I'm eager to see how my home made C trumpet performs against the next one I purchase.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is even big differences in the quality of "stainless steels". Material quality is one consideration, what we do with it is also every bit as critical. Monel has the advantage that it wears - the casing not as much. With stainless, the lions share of wear is transferred to the casing. We pick our poison!

4. jdltrumpet

Nov 24, 2016
    here are some pics i grabbed of the valves before shipping out this morning. Note, I had washed and lubed. However, the valve oil is already nearly black after maybe 2 minutes of playing the horn before I decided it would not work as the valves kept sticking. Also, after cleaning and lubricating, the valves do not spin freely in the cylinders. Also, the valves were not numbered. You'll notice the blackish valve oil but you can also see "polish" wear spots randomly located and polish streaks on the pistons. You might also be able to see the poor porting as well. These are "hand lapped/fitted" pistons.

IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2960.JPG IMG_2963.JPG IMG_2964.JPG

5. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    My 30 year old Conn 100B's pistons look better than that, and I flogged it mercilessly without cleaning it more than once every year or so through 8 years of school.

6. Chuck Rose

Chuck Rose Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    Good grief! The valves in my 70 year old Lafayette look much, much better than that!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are competent techs that refuse to work on horns like this as it can be a never ending story. I suspect if we lap enough to get them moving freely, they are so leaky that the horn plays worse. They may even be so loose that they bind in different ways.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, send it back. That's rubbish.

9. jdltrumpet

Nov 24, 2016
    I sent it back. getting my money back. ordered a new mystery brand and order parts to custom build my own project so I'll keep you all updated on my accidental success.
    :)

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yep. It is never a good conversation, but I have had many conversations with parents about how the value of the repair exceeds the value of the instrument, and how their instrument was not built to last.
    You always have to judge the personality of the customer, and NEVER say their instrument is cheap.

Peter McNeill likes this.