Low mouthpiece placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dviglis, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I just skimmed through the thread about embouchure placement on one of the artist in resident topics, and I was wondering if there is such thing as too much lower lip. I tend to center my mouthpiece in the middle and low register and get a nice fat sound, and when I go above the staff I move my mouthpiece down (in relation to face) and can normally scream quite well in a bach 7c in that range. Should I rethink my embouchure?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Dviglis,
    What you saw was what works for that person. Notice the key words "Works for that person"
    If it's not broke, don't fix it. If what you're doing works for you, don't mess with it.
    Dr.Mark

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Like I always say "if it ain't baroque don't fix it"

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Aside from the bite of a Bach 7C, IMO if one can't play everywhere with it that they want to, it is as much unlikely they can play everywhere they want to with any other mouthpiece. That said, it may be that some are lucky enough to acquire another that may be either easier to play or produce the sound they want ... and I might win the lottery also.

I've played quite a variety of mouthpieces, and still regularly do. And such includes what some would call "wierdos" such as my Parduba 4.5 HJ and Asymmetric 342 Lead. With students, my demonstrator mouthpiece is a close to the same as the one they use as I can get.

Yes, I mentioned the Asymmetric 342 Lead mouthpiece. It really encourages a lower lip placement. And then, when all is said and done, it is whatever WORKS FOR YOU!

6. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    "if it ain't baroque don't fix it"

Now we know why "corny," Andy.....

JA

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ...and he really comes from Iowa ;-)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would prefer to know the real agenda instead of a "perhaps" INTERNET solution first. I already know the answer but will ask the question anyway:

Dviglis, what got you looking at mouthpiece placement? You read everything the internet crowd had to say back then (2007). What makes you think that something more definitive will come today? Please no one else answer the question for Dviglis!

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    I was slightly scared by the people saying that if the mouthpiece is on the red of the lip, you can tare your lip and ruin your career. I just wanted to make sure that I am not going to have to go the hospital from playing the horn...

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008

1) Where you palce your mp is a personal thing. If a certain placement works for you, then keep it.

2) I don´t believe in changing mp position when changing pitch. In my younger days (before having
    any good teacher) my frustration from having a poor range made me play this way. It lead to nowhere . . .
    Today I play my entire range without ANY mp repositioning.

Sorry for answering, rowuk, but at least I haven´t told anyone what to do . . .